Issues With YAML - Can Someone Please Help

Why? The config has nothing to do with your check scripts. It is only a configuration and that’s it.

Answer: YAML is new to me. There is still a learning curve. It’s not as simple as you are proposing. For example - in YAML is sensitive to spaces. I would not have known that without researching that to learn it. An improper YAML file means the script will NOT load as has been the case for me.

In fact - one of my application log errors is “Can’t load yaml file ‘C:\ProgramData\checkmk\agent\check_mk.user.yml’, exception: ‘yaml-cpp: error at line 227, column 5: end of map not found’”

YAML or JSON configurations are at the moment nearly the default configuration format used in the IT industry. Booth are easy to read and easy to understand.

Answer: Yes for the IT industry but not necessarily for the simple non-technical end user. The non-technical end user, whom has been using an easy monitoring system, may not take kindly to unnecessary hurdles thrown in the mix which has changed things and caused issues. Even most technical people like simplicity. This is why config ini files are popular even though it’s legacy.

I’ll post my yml file being in used.