Issues With YAML - Can Someone Please Help

Good Day Andreas,

I performed the same test as you did and received the same output. But yet, the Check_Mk server is still not producing the plugin output within the WATO GUI. I requested you to produce evidence, but what I meant was visual evidence of the plugin being displayed within the WATO GUI. Can you produce that? If so - then that would great as I can further troubleshoot, if not, then I’ll go with the hypothesis that there is a bug within this version of Check_MK. Furthermore, there is no disappointment on my end…LOL!!! I don’t look to be proven right just to be proven right…LOL. I look to learn from the process whether proven right or wrong.

This is will be my LAST comment on this matter as I am moving on. I’ll look forward to the response of Check_MK team either the confirming or falsifying my hypothesis.

You can have the last word

Thanks
Steve :slight_smile:

Good Day Simonm,

Here is my response to your comments:

“Reading/editing YAML files is not that hard as you state, just give it a try - and always remember (also with a little bit of respect to the developers in mind): it was all done to deliver a better product. The YAML you are talking about is perhaps the remaining 0.01% of “complexity” which cannot be hidden by a nice GUI. The other 99.99% is what should really make you happy”

ANSWER: I never stated YAML was difficult to learn nor did I imply I would not give a try LOL!!! Having been in IT for 15 years, I know the value of learning something new. However, new doesn’t always mean better. For example, one can argue that Windows is still around because it delivers simplicity to its users, both technical and non-technical users. Many legacy features Windows have retained to deliver simplicity and keep their user base. Another example is Linux, as legacy config files have been retained as well (depending on the flavor)

When developing and maintaining a product, in my opinion, you have to keep in mind that the end user is in most cases, a non-technical person. This is especially true when you have competitors that may have an alternative product where users may gravitate toward. At times, you have to see things through a non-technical lens when maintaining a product. You may think that YAML is f** awesome, but the non-technical user could likely care less. Many non-technical end users (and some technical end users…not me personally), resist having to learn no more matter how small the learning curve. Personally…I watched and enjoyed a few YouTube videos on YAML to learn it. But many end users may not want to do that and may use another product.

Let’s hope that doesn’t happen as I personally enjoy Check_MK.

Thanks
Steve

The screenshot from the same agent output inside WATO

Windows tasks plugin output

Windows Interfaces plugin

And here without plugin

Can you show and confirm the Check_MK version as well? What OS are you running under nodes and server?

Thanks

Agent Vesion p17 and Task Plugin output shown inside CMK

Server is a normal Ubuntu 18.04 and the client is in this case a Win10

Ok cool. Mine is a Centos 7 for Check_MK server and Win10 client. Ok then I’ll have to continue to troubleshoot. My guess, at this point, is the YAML file is somehow not right. Anyhow - MRPE is what i use and is working.

Thanks Andreas

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.