Legacy SNMP devices using SNMP v2c rule set vanished?

CMK version: Checkmk Enterprise Edition 2.1.0p22
OS version: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

I need to setup the rule “Legacy SNMP devices using SNMP v2c” for some of my older UPSs, like described in the manual (6.1 Checkmk agents and SNMP, section “Monitoring via SNMP”, chapter 3.1 “A defective SNMP implementation” under “V2c works, but bulk requests fail”):

1. In the Setup > Agents > SNMP rules > Legacy SNMP devices using SNMP v2c rule set, create a rule for the host, and set the value typically to Positive match (Add matching hosts to the set).

But there is no “Legacy SNMP devices using SNMP v2c” rule set unter Setup > Agents > SNMP rules
16 different rules but none with “Legacy SNMP”

Even using the search field in the Setup-Menu does not provide any result. A search for “Legacy” just shows up “Legacy agent management” and a search for “v2c” just shows up rules to enable or disable bulk walks. Nor does any other search i tried give any relevant result.

Has this rule set vanished, has it been renamed (and noone updated the manuals) or am I getting mad?

The communities help is very appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Hi @klaus.scholl
I believe the rule has been renamed to better fit what it’s actually doing:

“Disable bulk walks on SNMPv2c/v3”
“Some SNMPv2c/v3 capable devices are buggy when being queried using bulk walks. In such cases, you can disable bulk walks with this ruleset. Please be aware that you should only do this if no other approach is feasible (e.g. limiting the bulk size), as bulk walks are much more performant.”

@thohenstatt Renaming rules as it was done in 2.0 (quite a bit) and 2.1 (a lot less I think), might make sense, but maybe it’s possible to include the previous name that people and documentation (in the forum as well, where no one will update it) still reference in the inline help? (or some alternative that the search will pick up?)

3 Likes

Thank you so much. This did the trick! :smiley: :+1:

I would never have come up with “Legacy SNMP devices using SNMP v2c” meaning that those devices should not use bulkwalk and therefore use this ruleset now. :crazy_face:

Someone should really adjust the manuals…

@gstolz Thanks for tagging me :slight_smile:
I forwarded the issue to our documentation team and I will look into it, how we can improve the traceability of renamed rules (or other stuff that gets renamed).

@klaus.scholl I am glad that it worked out! If you ever run again into a similar issue, feel free to write another forum post or message me directly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.