Linux Server Mem Usage Rule Not Working

CheckMK RAW Edition 2.0.0.0p29
Ubuntu 20.04.2

Good morning CheckMK Community,

I’m experiencing an issue with one of my linux servers, it appears my ruleset for memory WARN\CRIT states is lining up as I see the green bubble digging into one of the servers just to confirm my rule is being used, but for some reason it shows the WARN\CRIT state is set to 100%\150%.

Any ideas what could be causing this? For reference it only seems to happen with my linux machines I want to monitor.

Here are some screenshots:

The check alerts about too much committed memory. This is memory that has been allocated by processes but not used yet. there are separate thresholds for committted memory.

1 Like

Thanks @r.sander that definitely makes more sense now.

Even if you don’t check the box for ‘committed memory’ it’ll still use these parameters under this rule I created? Is there another location I should be looking to define these thresholds?

There are often default check parameters defined as with this check.

You are spot on, but I can’t find where this “inventorized check” parameters lives. I think I see the default check parameters, but would this mean i’d have to go back into my rule and check these committed memory levels on? Ideally I’d like to only use the total RAM WARN/CRIT threshold and really don’t have a need for the other parameters.

You can set the thresholds for the committed memory to “Do not impose any levels”.
The default check parameters are coded in the check plugin.

1 Like

Thank you! Worked like a charm, I’m not seeing any more commit WARNs on the service, appreciate the resolve!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.