Managed service edition: Convert old multiple RRD storage format to CMC format

Hi,

we are using the CME edition (at the moment still on 2.1.0p38) and we have something like 40 customer (satellite) systems “in the wild” and all of these cmk servers are using the old “Multiple RRDs per host/service (compatible with PNP4Nagios)”.
We want to change that now, but I don’t know the exact sequence of doing so correctly.

I think it’s something like this:

omd stop
cmk -v --convert-rrds
omd start

# check if everything is ok and if yes:
omd stop
cmk -v --convert-rrds --delete-rrds
omd start

But is it also necessary to create a rule in WATO (“Configuration of RRD databases”) or not?
If yes, when should the rule be applied?

I guess these steps need to be repeated on all of our satellites, right?
We are managing them with Ansible, so I guess only the playbook creation and the “check if everythink is ok” might be the hard part :wink:

Thanks for reading,
Roland.

Hi Roland,

you first need to create the configuration rule for hosts and services in checkmk, otherwise the convert command will not convert anything.
And yes, you will have to do this on every satellite (locally).

You can add --debug to the command for further analysis.

If you don´t delete the rrds in the first command, remember that you check your free space beforehands, as you are doubling the needed storage space for the rrd files.

Maybe you can use the returncode of the convert command in ansible, to see if everything was ok.
In my test enviroment i receive a 0 for a successfull command.

1 Like

The --convert phase can take quite a lot of time, depending on the number of RRDs to convert.

1 Like