March Community Call: New Kubernetes Monitoring in Checkmk 2.1 | 24 March 2022

March Community Call: New Kubernetes Monitoring in Checkmk 2.1

24 March 2022 | 14:00 CET / 09:00 AM EDT | Timezone converter | Join via Zoom | YouTube livestream | Add to your calendar

Hello Checkmk Community,

It’s time for the first community call of the year!

In this session, @martin.hirschvogel will walk you through the new features around Kubernetes monitoring that are coming to Checkmk 2.1 and how to install and configure it. You can now try these features in the 2.1 beta version released this month.

We’re trying out a different timing for this community call based on the feedback we received.

You can of course reply to this thread with your requests, questions and feedback in advance, and we can try to accommodate them in the community call.

Hope to see you there!

5 Likes

@rprengel I will show the entire installation of the Kubernetes agent in a cluster + config in Checkmk. So probably interesting for you.

1 Like

Yes,
any docs or tutorials availabe before?
Ralf

@rprengel
Please check out our Kubernetes repository, if you want to try out the new Kubernetes monitoring. We wrote quick guides to help you get started.
Installation via Helm charts: checkmk_kube_agent/deploy/charts/checkmk at main · tribe29/checkmk_kube_agent · GitHub
Installation via manifests: checkmk_kube_agent/deploy/kubernetes at main · tribe29/checkmk_kube_agent · GitHub

Hallo,
great.
Can you publish some screeshots?

Ralf

@rprengel Of what? :slight_smile:

Some pictures of the cluster, nodes and pods in the webinterface.
Ralf

I can give you a sneak peak at a dashboard in progress. For more, please join the community call :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hallo,
thanks.
Have a nice weekend.
Ralf

Hallo,
using

Step 4
Deploy to your cluster
works
but ends with

root@srvkub130 kube]# kubectl get svc -n checkmk-monitoring
NAME TYPE CLUSTER-IP EXTERNAL-IP PORT(S) AGE
cluster-collector ClusterIP 10.109.37.64 80/TCP 82s
cluster-collector-nodeport NodePort 10.101.149.248 30035:30035/TCP 82s
[root@srvkub130 kube]# kubectl get pods -n checkmk-monitoring
NAME READY STATUS RESTARTS AGE
cluster-collector-78f86f9d45-v9wkt 0/1 InvalidImageName 0 3m32s
node-collector-container-metrics-w7qlb 0/2 InvalidImageName 0 3m32s
node-collector-container-metrics-zjqtq 0/2 InvalidImageName 0 3m32s
node-collector-machine-sections-7lf2z 0/1 InvalidImageName 0 3m32s
node-collector-machine-sections-lc6gm 0/1 InvalidImageName 0 3m32s
[root@srvkub130 kube]#

Ralf

Hey Ralf,
I highly recommend using the Helm charts.

If using the manifests, you need to set the image tag properly. I will change that on Monday for the 1.0.0 branch. When pulling from main, you will always have to set it.
Currently, it is: checkmk/kubernetes-collector:main_<YYYY.MM.DD>
I recommend using checkmk/kubernetes-collector:1.0.0-beta.1
You have to adapt it for all the other images as well (you can save yourself a lot of work, if you use the Helm charts).

Ok,
I will switch to helm.
Ralf