_MEI directories in tmp on windows?

Hello everyone.

Can someone tell me, what these “_MEI” folders are supposed to do?
They are generated each x minutes on our servers and aren’t removed by themself!

This is really an important matter, because our filesystem is not that big to support endless folder creations…

Cheers

Hi @Kruzgoth,

please provide the agent as well checkmk version.

My mistake, forgot the basics…
1.5.0p21.cee
It’s a basic agent with auto updater and logwatch plugin. It seemed to have a problem
with some logfiles if they are to large in size, but why are these folders created???

Thanks in advance.

PS: Based on intern security requirements, i cant send any host-related informationen. That includes the agent output as well. =( so this is a no-go.

Hi,
the _MEI folders contain the python runtime given by some plugins like cmk-update-agent.exe or mk_logwatch.exe. These plugins written in python and compiled. At runtime the folder will be created.
Regards, Christian

1 Like

Thanks for your information.
So, there is no process which will clean up all these created runtime folders?

Hi,
normally the folders will be cleared at the next run. Please check if you have a permission problem on agent side. Sometimes the system account is not able to clean up. Often when a Windows system is cloned.

1 Like

The agent is running under “Local System”-Account, there shouldn’t be any problems related to permissions :wink:
But we will check this for sure, thx.

Hallo Kruzgoth,

die _MEI Dateien werden normalerweise automatisch bereinigt. Siehe https://checkmk.com/de/werk/8704

Jedes mal wenn der Updater läuft, werden diese Dateien geschrieben. Ihr könnt diese Dateien also auch manuell löschen, wenn nicht alle geleert werden.

Mit dem Windows Agent in der 2.0 wird es sowas nicht geben, da wir dort Pythonmodule statt den Pyinstaller nutzen.

Gruß

Anastasios

1 Like