Monitor used vCPUs per ESXi host

I would also say this is no real problem. In all the many environments where i have monitoring systems the normal behavior is that at an maximum one or two VM’s are taken offline in a short time.
The only time something else happens if you set a host in maintenance mode but then you also should set your monitoring object in maintenance :slight_smile:

From my point of view :
Averaging the (host based) ready values for e.g. 100 vms on an esxi hosts is pointless.
That would be like averaging CPU load in top over all processes…
It should be either the real values of each vcpu/vm or at least averaged per vm, if the first option is not available.
These values would support us in CPU constraint troubleshooting and you could set sane values for rulesets. A general rule of thumb is that cpu ready should not exceed 5% per vcpu.

Actually it should be possible to retrieve values for single vms instead of the (whole) esxi and calculate the summation into the percentage values.

A good explanation is here :

I’m sorry that I have to revive this thread after 2 years, but I’m still missing this feature in Checkmk.

CPU Ready is a key performance indicator in every VMware ESXi Environment. I fully understand that it is quite difficult to get it right, but the suggestion from @aeckstein is perfect in my opinion.
Just do it per VM. We already have the piggyback services from the VCenter or ESXi Host. It should be possible to either create a new service or integrate the ready times in the ESX CPU service.

I hope I didn’t miss anything, but it seems that this topic is a bit stale, even tho it was already developed but then dropped again.

Looking forward to a revival of this.

Regards
Norm

2 Likes

Maybe we create a feature request for it :slight_smile: