Monitoring All The Things With Checkmk

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to this community, so hello to you all! I wrote a blog post recently about how I’m monitoring a myriad of different devices and services in my homelab/home network, including pfSense, Docker containers, OpenWRT devices and various smarthome devices. Please feel free to check it out. I’m open for questions or tips on how I can improve my setup:

https://webworxshop.com/monitoring-all-the-things-with-checkmk/

Looking forward to some interesting discussion!

7 Likes

I like your differentiation between monitoring and metrics collection.

Do you know that there is work ongoing in creating a Grafana plugin that can connect to CheckMK? https://checkmk.com/cms_grafana.html

CheckMK is both a monitoring system and a metrics collector. With the Grafana plugin it is possible to integrate the metrics collected by CheckMK into your Grafana dashboards.

This is currently only available with the Enterprise edition as this has support for exporting metrics via API. It may be a feature that is available in the RAW edition in the future.

2 Likes

Hi Rob.

Interesting comments regards NFS on there - were you trying to use v3 or 4?

Cheers,
Rich

I hope so :-), now I use graphite and grafana together.

1 Like

Hey Rob, already saw it. Good stuff! Thanks for spreading the word.

Hi @robconnolly, glad to see you here :blush:. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the community!

I’m going to have to multi-part this post, since I can only mention 2 users in a post, part 1:

@r.sander Thanks, it’s something that’s been bugging me for a while with all these new metrics platforms floating around. The grafana plugin looks cool, definitely hoping it comes to the RAW edition in the future.

@pn-rallen I assume version 4 since I am just using the defaults in Ubuntu Server 18.04 on both client and server.

1 Like

Part 2:

@neeloj How do you export the data from check_mk to graphite? I was hoping to do the same to influxdb.

@martin.hirschvogel Thanks, I’m glad you like it!

Part 3:

@fayepal Thanks, it’s good to be here. Thank you for the warm welcome!

You can copy/create linke for graphite to read them…

The location of RRD data files: /opt/graphite/storage/rrd

And I can now open Grafana and connect to graphite :slight_smile:

Check:

and

1 Like