Monitoring Azure Managed Instance

Is there a solution to monitor an Azure Managed Instance with checkmk?
or any work around solution to have that MI monitored by our checkmk?

Isn’t MI just a layer below Azure SQL? Monitoring the SQL DB via the various MS Azure SQL checks should be possible

You’ve Azure SQL Databases, one layer above is Azure SQL Managed Instance and above that Azure VM with SQL Server…

As documented, Azure SQL Database is supported, also Azure VM… but Azure SQL Managed Instance isn’t… this is just the level between the 2 supported Azure solutions…
https://docs.checkmk.com/latest/en/monitoring_azure.html

Layers, layers, layers :slight_smile:

You could of course write an extension yourself or complement the existing one.
Alternatively, create a feature request on features.checkmk.com and vote on it.

1 Like

Hi,

Maybe, it is possible to have the same approach as when you monitor oracle databases in Oracle cloud when you cannot install the agent on the db server.
See this blogpost
Monitoring Oracle databases with Checkmk | Checkmk and Step 6.
There they suggest a piggy back host where you install the agent and the sql server driver and the sql server plugin.
I haven’t tried it myself, but I have it in mind since we have a lot of customers using oracle cloud and some are starting to think about managed dbs in the cloud and that’s the same situation as Azure Managed Instance since you cannot install the agent on the db server.
/r

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.