Monitoring Cisco Device With SNMP

Hi,

I was install checkmk_1.6P17 and i’m trying to go and monitor cisco Switch,router,asa,etc… but i see that check_mk doesn’t extract cpu,ram,Hardware status and many others. currently these are controlled through nagios using the “check_nwc_health” plug-in.

currently the devices have been created in checkmk in standard mode so snmp has been activated. can you give me some advice on how to proceed?

is it possible to use the old “check_nwc_health” plug-in? or is there a better way?

Anyone already faced with this problem?.

Thx.
Dario.

Hi Dario,

I don’t know this plugin. But it should be possible: You have to copy the plugin to your site directory: local/lib/nagios/plugins. After that you configure the plugin via WATO → Host & Service Parameters → Active Checks → Classical active and passive monitoring checks.

Karl

Hi,

Here are the checks from one of our 3850s just using the included SNMP plugins with checkmk. What are you seeing?

Cheers,
Rich

Hello
if configured properly, Checkmk should find nearly everything on your Cisco device.
We monitor ~12000 Switches, APs and their Controllers with it.
i think what you are missing are the SNMP settings of your host
Check_nwc_health is a classical Nagios plugin. It works but it is not needed here.

BR

1 Like

We also have >100 Cisco Routers with no missing infos.
May you have some rules that disable this services.
Try to monitor just one device on a fresh test site.

Regards Marc
CEE 1.6p17

Hi @kdeutsch, @pn-rallen, @wittmannthom, @MarcK,

I’ve recently installed CheckMK CEE 1.6p17 with two node and one master “Wato_Distribution” .

A node is dedicated to network equipment monitoring.

A rule has been created in the main directory via the Disabled services rule as follows.

But I don’t think this has anything to do with my problem.

The configuration is correct the snmp test was successful. surely there will be some settings in checkmk but I don’t know which one. what configuration have you set to checkmk?

Thx.
Dario.

Why? This rule removes every service from every host???

Use classic checks only for services not included in the products own checks.

3 Likes

I agree with Andreas, you disabled ALL services…
Try a fresh Test-Site with only one Cisco device and without any added rule, just out-of-the-box.

Hi @pn-rallen , @kdeutsch, @andreas-doehler, @MarcK, @wittmannthom,

as you have indicated to me a new knot has been made with no rules applied. loading a SW-C2960-B switch I get after discovery many interface.

When you talk about active check you mean snmp scripts es. cisco_stack, cisco_stackpower, cisco_cpu, cisco_cpu_multiitem ecc…

Searching the forum and the doc I tried to launch the command check_mk --debug -v --checks cisco_fan -I SW-C2960-B

This seems to have added the FAN service.

So I have to launch n “cmk” for each network device? there is no automatism?

Thx.
Dario.

Hi,
how about WATO -> Hosts -> Bulk discovery?

Karl

hi @kdeutsch,

I could use Bulk discovery but I should always run for each device the command check_mk --debug -v --checks cisco_fan -I SW-C2960-B otherwise I don’t see the fan service.

but this happens also with other active check.

for example if I wanted to add CPU service I would have to run check_mk --debug -v --checks cisco_cpu -I SW-C2960-B otherwise by default is not added.

but is it correct that it is so? or is there something I am missing?

Thx.
Dario.

Hi Dario,
normaly everything in CMK is Rule based. No need to do same doings again and again :wink:
There are many ways to classify devices so that the rules target as wished.

I am wondering a little bit why your cisco did not show all known services, for our cisco routers i get all infos without any additionally action, inclouding Fans and CPU

And… there is a little missleading point, that are not active checks :wink:

Dario, did you read this on the CMK Homepage?
Monitoring via SNMP

There is explained how snmp works with CMK and why in some cases CMK did not know that there is a cisco device to monitor. Maybe @andreas-doehler or @wittmannthom can help you in this cases.

You probably need the Check_MK discovery service to automatically add services afterwards (f.ex. after rules changes)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.