Monitoring Windows Server Services

Hello, I would need a suggestion regarding monitoring a windows server on which I should monitor the following services / ports

Service Name ----------------- Service ------------------------ Port
WWW Publishing srv. ------- W3SVC ------------------------ 80
Apache Tomcat 7.0 ---------- Tomcat7 ----------------------- 8080
Jenkins -------------------------- Jensins ----------------------- 8081
Metabase ----------------------- Metabase -------------------- 3000
MySQL57 ----------------------- MySQL57 -------------------- 3306

I haven’t found much to monitor windows machines,
I am a newbie, I would appreciate suggestions on the subject.
Thank you.

Hi,
you can monitor this port by using “Active Checks” like port checks. This will check if this ports are reachable from outside.
Cheers,
Christian

Hi ChristianM,
first of all thank you for your answer, but I have a question,
I checked online looking for how to enable “Active Checks” in the version of Check_MK (version 2.0.0p3) that I use, and did not find a useful reference. Could you tell me where I can activate these controls for my windows machines?
Thanks again.

Hi Roberto,
in 2.0.0 you will find the “Actice Checks” at the new menu structure “Services → HTTP, TCP, Email…”. There you will find “Check TCP port connection”.
With this check you can cack a port from your target system, this means that a check was issued by checkmk server to check port e.g. 3306 on the target system. So, there is nothing to do on the target server to check the needed ports.
Cheers,
Christian

ChristianM,
thanks for your help, I found the items you are referring to in the menu.
I will do some tests to implement these rules on the Check_MK server
to verify the reachability of these ports on my Windows Machines.
This should solve my problem.
Thanks again :smiley:

Hi ChristianM,
as you suggested I went to Services → HTTP, TCP, Email → Check TCP port connection ".
I’ve created a couple of rules under the specific group that contains the server, one for port 80,
and the other for 8080 Tomcat.
In the rule I wrote the port, wrote the specific ip address, and committed everything.
The rule is seen inside the rules pool, but I don’t understand where to monitor it.
I looked in the host menu, the server on which I made the rules.
There are no entries in host services for them.
Where can I check their operation?

If needed, I can send you screenshots.

Thank you.

On a side note: You might want to look into the rule set Windows service discovery. That lets you monitor the Windows Services running on the server.

Thanks, I solved.
Under Setup-> Service-> Enforced Services-> Windows Services
I was able to create rules to monitor the services I needed.

Thanks for the support. :smiley:

Late back to the party but let me just say: You probably don’t want to use Enforced Services. Rather use the normal Ruleset. It has the same name, but is not in the Enforced section.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.