Multiple Check_MK Agents on same monitored host

Hello together,

I have a question regarding the installation of multiple Check_MK Agents on a same host.
Here is the situation based on my favored concept I thought through. Please let me just know if my concept is bad, if there are better ways to achieve what I want or when I’m just missing something.

Situation (my favored concept):

I have one single monitoring-server which serves two sites:

• Site test
    • purpose: testing checkmk-configurations (rules, etc.), before manually applying the “needed
      configurations” on the prod-site; can be a playground aswell when testing stuff
    • has got a site-specific Check_MK Agent, which is configured via AgentBakery
      • uses the test-site as deployment-server for auto-updates
  • Site prod
    • config-state differs from test-site; everything here was beforhand configured and tested on test-site
    • purpose: mirrors the “real and correct configuration”, sending various important alerts etc pp.
    • has got a site-specific Check_MK Agent, which is configured via AgentBakery
      • uses the prod-site as deployment-server for auto-updates
  • important: in order to correctly test every config-adjustments, both sites need to have the exact same hosts to be monitored
  • because the agent from test-site and prod-site can differ, I need both agents to be installed on the monitored host accessed by different ports

As mentioned, both sites serve their own Check_MK Agent. Both agents, let’s call them test-agent and prod-agent, are configured via AgentBakery on their respective site. Because I think its needed that the two agents differ, I already configured the following rules to make them different:

• Rule TCP port for connection to Checkmk agent: test-agent is accessed by 6556, prod-agent is accessed by 6557
  • Rule Installation paths for agent files (Linux, UNIX)
    • Directory for configuration files: /etc/check_mk_test (for prod-agent its _prod)
    • Base directory for plugins and local: /usr/lib/check_mk_agent_test (for prod-agent its _prod)
    • Base directory for variable data (caches, state files): /var/lib/check_mk_agent_test (for prod-agent its _prod)
  • Rule Name of agent packages (Linux, UNIX): check-mk-agent-test (for prod-agent its prod)*

So far so good - theoretically…

The Problem is that I can not install both agents at the same time.
When I install the prod-agent via dpkg -i when the test-agent is already installed,
then the agent-controller and deployed systemd units, which got installed by test-agent beforhand, gets uninstalled (orange box) and there is a problem with the super-server.cfg (red box) because it is already from the test-agent. Somehow they collide, interfere each other, even though I changed for example some paths in rules.

And when I try to uninstall an agent, it says that “/var/lib/cmk-agent” is not empty but I can not find a rule in AgentBakerey to change it to “/var/lib/cmk-agent-test” for example.

Any ideas? Is it not the “checkmk-way” / bad practice to have two Check_MK-Agents installed simultaneously to test stuff?
Is it a dpkg-issue and I should install the second agent with dpkg -i --force-overwrite agent.deb?

I am really looking forward for help! Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

Julien

I understand the problem. Just call the production agent the way you always do (agent controller) and deploy a second agent script that uses a few modified variables. Call this via SSH as described in the Linux legacy article.

I understand what you are trying to accomplish, but I am not sure that your approach is the right one:

• Although the Checkmk agent is quite lightweight, the resource consumption on the monitored servers is not zero.
  • If you implement the same approach for SNMP devices, some of them might break because they get overloaded. You can find some posts here in the forum discussing this issue

Thanks for your response.

So the prod-agent would be configured via AgentBakery rulesets: which sections to monitor? which plugins to rollout? what to monitor etc.) + auto-updates etc

And the test-agent would be just a script / binary. Is it also configured with AgentBakery to benefit from auto-updates, configure it via rulesets to tell which plugins to rollout etc? Or would that be all manually. Because I want to configure both prod-agent and test-agent “in the same way”. Prod-agent with AgentBakery for configuring seems better in my eyes…

Is there no checkmk-builtin-way to make two checkmk-agents run “as intended” with agent-controller etc. the whole package?

Thanks for your response.

I think the first point is OK since i will set the test-site for 60min intervall and the prod-site for a quicker intervall.

SNMP devices is something I wont have I suppose.