Naming discovered odder hosts with their container name?

Hi all,

I’m still very new to CheckMK, I’m just trying it out to see if it suits our needs. I’ve got it monitoring our Proxmox cluster and Docker hosts and it’s automatically pulled in all the docker hosts, the downside is they all have names that don’t mean a lot to me as the user. Is it possible to get CheckMK to name them wit hath container names instead of the container number?

I’ve had a hunt around and can find some rules for changing names but I can only find ways to prefix names instead of telling it to name them based on the container name, it adds the container name as a tag, so hoping there’s a way to make tat tag the nae of the container. Is there a way to make this happen? Any help gratefully appreciated.

The agent plugin for Docker can be configured to return the container names instead of the IDs in the piggyback data sections for the containers.

In the Enterprise edition you can achieve this with the ruleset “Docker node and containers”.

In the Raw edition you have to create /etc/check_mk/docker.cfg manually on the Docker node with the content:

[DOCKER]
container_id: name
1 Like