Naming of Tag IDs

Hello,
we use the cee 1.6.0.p23.
I have a question about tag IDs. We seem to have just run into a problem… we have unintentionally used same tag IDs in different tag groups. This is apparently not intentional/possible and is causing problems. Why is this not stated anywhere and why aren’t the tag IDs just unique per tag group? This is really annoying…

regards
Christian

Hi Chris,

I prefer using a prefix for any kind of IDs like hg_linuy, cg_admin, sg_myapp and so on. Then you will not run in such kind of problems.

Cheers,
Christian

1 Like

WATO resp. Setup should not allow that. Have you modified the tag groups directly in the config file?

Hi @r.sander
I have set the tag IDs via Wato and in no case I get an error message. Even in 2.0.0p4 it is possible to use the same tag ID in multiple tag groups.

regards
Christian

Should be no problem, because tag id’s are saved with syntax:

GROUP_ID:TAG_ID

You can see that e.g. in the output of “CMK - D HOSTNAME”…

1 Like

Hi @MarsellusWallace ,
Maybe then we have found the only case where there is a problem :slight_smile:
We use a tag ID “prod” in another tag group. If I now use this as a rule for a host group, not MY productive systems are added to the group, but those, of the default criticallity tag group, where “prod” is also an ID. In this case there is a problem.

regards
Christian

I will have to check this in my site(s), trying to reproduce it.
Could be I find some time tomorrow.

1 Like

Okay, thank you. I could reproduce this in 2.0.0p4 as well.

This problem has already been reported to Trieb29 but they have no fix for it yet.

The global problem is that the behavior of the tags changed over the last 2 versions.
In the beginning every part of your tag needs to be unique in the whole system. Now it is like @MarsellusWallace wrote the tag inside the system is a key value pair and this pair needs to be unique. But i think that the matching code only analyse the TAG_ID part and ignores the GROUP_ID part.
That matches then the findings from @CFriedrich.

1 Like

I asked for feeback regarding this problem internally, will keep you informed.
@LaSoe, could you please write me a PM with the FEED or SUP ticket you opened?

1 Like

FYI: I “successfully” reproduced this in my 2.0.0p4 by these steps:

• create new taggroup “mwtest” with two tagids “prod” and “offline”
  • when tagging a host with mwtest:offline, the host disappears from monitoring after applying changes!

Devs are informed, will keep you informed like promised.

BTW: @LaSoe - I do not need the tickets ID(s) anymore, a colleague of mine already had at least one of yours in mind :wink:

4 Likes

@MarsellusWallace
Great, thanks in advance!

fyi @T.Schmitz

BTW: This also happens with labels where sometimes only the key part is considered and the values do not matter.

We are currently investigating this and will hopefully be able to provide a solution within the next 2 weeks. As far as I can tell at the moment we’ll either update the matching logic to respect the tag group or revive the validation of the tag ID uniqueness.

5 Likes

Hi @LaMi,
should this be the fix for this problem?

If so, I do not understand the Explanation. It sounds like only something was fixed on the views?!

regards
Christian

This fixes the visualization part of the problem (when displaying rules in setup). The things I mentioned before are affecting other parts. We are still working on it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.