Need to configure "Outgoing Emails" or "SMTP Relay Host" ASAP

Need to configure “Outgoing Emails” or “SMTP Relay Host” ASAP. I do not see where to configure this in version 2.1.

I have configured Postfix on my CheckMK server and have confirmed successful mail flow using SMTP authentication to my M365 server.

I’m just trying to get CheckMK to use that configuration for sending notifications. This is very frustrating and a roadblock/hurdle for folks trying to stand this up. Need better documentation for this.

Your documentation states the following, but the “Outgoing Emails” and or “SMTP Relay Host” options aren’t available in the GUI like the doc states:

### 3.7. Configuring outgoing emails

In order to be able to send emails from the unit, e.g. in case of events during monitoring, the forwarding of the mails to one of your mail servers must be configured via Outgoing Emails.

To do this, as the minimum, the host address of your mail server must be defined as SMTP Relay Host. This server accepts the emails from your machine and forwards them.

However, configuring the SMTP relay server is only sufficient when your mail server accepts emails via anonymous SMTP. If your mail server requires authentication, then you must activate the appropriate login method under Authentication and enter the appropriate access data.

If you do not receive any emails even after this has been configured, it is worth taking a look at the appliance’s system log. All attempts to send mails are logged here.

The appliance itself can send system mails in the event of a critical problem occurring, e.g. if a job cannot be executed or a hardware problem has been detected. To receive these emails, you must configure an email address via Send local system mails to to which these mails are to be sent.

Finally, you can activate transport encryption via TLS and manually specify a default sender address.

Are you using the Open Source Raw Editon or one of the Enterprise Editions?

All Editions allow for sending through a local mailsystem or nullmailer, for this the mail command has to work (sorry for the broken quotation marks):

Thanks for the reply, I’m running this version: 2.1.0p18 running on a Ubuntu 22.04 virtual machine.

I can already send mail via Postfix, no issue. It’s getting the CheckMk app to use Postifix to send the notifications where i’m in need of assistance.

Make sense? The documentation doesn’t explain where to configure that on my version.

To be able to help you, we need the full output of the command omd versions when logged in to your Checkmk server. Unfortunately, the login screen does not provide enough information.

2.1.0p18.cre (default)

That’s the Raw Edition, so 100% Open Source. Some of the features of the Enterprise Editions are not present here like the Notification Spooler. So if you are running in a chapter in the User Guide where it is unclear if your currently used edition supports it, please notify us.

If you are below 25 hosts (current 2.1) or 750 services (upcoming 2.2)you can use most Enterprise features free (gratuit).

Good morning, I actually purchased Enterprise Standard in February 2023. Am I able to perform an in place upgrade? I don’t want to have to start from scratch. I have the agent deployed to 65 hosts.

Hi @jholloway
yes, the upgrade is pretty straightforward. Follow the instructions here: Updates and Upgrades

2 Likes

Thank you. I will give that a try.

1 Like

do i need to install the enterprise version over the top and then run “omd update”?

Even though i have a subscription, the WGET command isn’t allowing me to pull the latest version. I’m getting the following error:

"HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 401 Unauthorized
Authentication selected: Basic realm=“Download Checkmk - Subscription required”

This is very frustrating…

Any ideas? I needed to have this done yesterday…

Please send a direct message either to Elias or to me (depending on your timezone).

@mschlenker already taken care of

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.