Network interfaces - switch port

unbale to get actual interface alias on service even after set rule for alias tag suggested by Alexander Wilms

checmk 2.0 Raw

A little bit more information about your configuration and the monitored devices would be good.

cisco sw port

its cisco switch, discovered host lable as cmk/device_type:fcswitch, with snmpv3 , cpu uptime and al other services seems fine, please check attached snaps

And you have also set an host tag on this device like the condition in your rule?

yes, strictly followed the post of Alexander Wilms but not lucky

we updated with Raw 2.0.0P but same issue

You are sure that the alias has something inside?

yes, i am able to get description of ports while scanning for services, but we want interface name should be replace or discover as like GigabitEthernet1/0/1

@gulaschcowboy if you hint on this

Did you create two tags and two rules? (alias vs. description)
If yes, try with description and post the result

sharing you following findings : on checkmk version - 2.0.0p1
without Tag, i just enabled Network interface and switch port discovery rule by selecting Appearance of network interface = use Alias, on 1-2 switches i am getting port numbers and description of ports wherever it configured, but for other switch i am only getting description no any port numbers as provided snaps.

with 1 TAG : added two rule, one for alias and one for description but there is no any changes on result (tag choice - alias and desc)

with 1 Tag : added single rule to use alias and changed the condition of tag to desc - not working same result
activated pending changes same time while changing the rules and creating tags

seems with new checkmk version there is no any change on port discovery for few switches by applying tag, same time rule is working to identify idex or alias or desc. but result may very based on switch model

i used cisco 3850 and 9300 models where 3850 having correct port numbers by using rule selecting alias
for other models no changes

I don’t really understand your last post. Anyway, did you create a secondary tag choice and rule and set both fields to use Description?

Then you can try to discover your device once with useAlias and once with useDescription.
Normally Cisco writes the content of their description command to the ifAlias OID tree (confusing…) but who knows…
And of course: Are you sure that interface descriptions are set in the switches?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact @fayepal if you think this should be re-opened.