Network scan does not resolve hostnames?

Virtual appliance 2.1p18

First post. Thanks in advance.
I am new to chekcmk. Just a few days into it. My question is, when manually adding hosts (all SNMP v2 BTW), I can just enter the host name (FQDN), and it discovers & resolves clients without any problems.

So far so good. Now, I have hundreds upon hundreds of devices in several locations, so I thought, cool, I’ll just do a Network Scan from within the folder, and problem solved, right?

The issue I run into, is that in only returns the IP of the devices. It never resolves the hostnames.

I know this works as I’ve been trialing several other competitors, and they all populate with the hostnames of the machines. So is there a trick or hidden feature to turn on for this to work?

Hi,
I’ve seen this work incl. reverse dns resolution. Have you tried it manually?
i.e. if you run “dig -x 10.10.4.53” as your omd instance user, does it resolve to a DNS entry?

Gerd

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, adding hosts manually, it resolves every time.

can you share the output of the “dix -x 10.10.4.53” command? (feel free to obscure the DNS name)

I’m on the virtual appliance. Not sure how to drop to a command line from there.

Is this a distributed setup? Where perhaps the central site cannot resolve those IP addresses while the “worker” site can?

(not sure how network scan works in detail. Since the scan finds the addresses, I’d assume it should also have access to the matching DNS resolution, but who knows)

see => Configuring and using the Appliance

It isn’t. Also, subnet is local to the appliance.

Ok, then you probably really need to verify the DNS resolution on the command line as site user, like @gstolz said

I’m on the trial version right now, so no SSH access (other than setup).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.