No Performance Graphs on fresh installation - RHEL 9

CMK version: 2.1.0p27.cre
OS version: RHEL 9

Error message:
After a fresh installation of CheckMK RAR on RHEL 9 via dnf install ./check-mk-raw-2.1.0p27-el9-38.x86_64.rpm no graphs are shown for the services. I get this message “No historic metrics recorded but performance data is available. Maybe performance data processing is disabled.”
~/var/pnp4nagios/perfdata is empty.
Is set SELinux on the host to permissive.
rrdcached.log is 0 byte
in the npcd.log i found
[05-13-2023 00:45:58] NPCD: ERROR: Executed command exits with return code ‘2’
[05-13-2023 00:45:58] NPCD: ERROR: Command line was ‘/omd/sites/uni_oldenburg/lib/pnp4nagios/process_perfdata.pl -n -c /omd/sites/mysite/etc/pnp4nagios/process_perfdata.cfg -b /omd/sites/mysite/var/pnp4nagios/spool//perfdata.1683931445’

Output of “cmk --debug -vvn hostname”: (If it is a problem with checks or plugins)
=> Command not found

I increase the log level of npcd…

i think the problem is here

i ran command from the log file

OMDmysite]:~/var/pnp4nagios/log$ /omd/sites/mysite/lib/pnp4nagios/process_perfdata.pl -n -c /omd/sites/mysite/etc/pnp4nagios/process_perfdata.cfg -b /omd/sites/mysite/var/pnp4nagios/spool//perfdata.1683932053

This is the error

Can't locate lib.pm in @INC (you may need to install the lib module) (@INC contains: /omd/sites/mysite/local/lib/perl5/lib/perl5 /omd/sites/mysite/lib/perl5/lib/perl5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /omd/sites/mysite/lib/perl5/lib/perl5 /usr/local/lib64/perl5/5.32 /usr/local/share/perl5/5.32 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5) at /omd/sites/mysite/lib/pnp4nagios/process_perfdata.pl line 20.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /omd/sites/mysite/lib/pnp4nagios/process_perfdata.pl line 20.

Thanks to

i had only to

yum install perl-lib

@Check-MK Team → Could you please set the packet as a requirement for RHEL9 based Systems ? Or write it somewhere in the documentation ?

1 Like

Will inform the dev team. Thx for the info

1 Like

I created an internal ticket, so this will be fixed in a future release.
As there is a valid workaround, I think we should be good.
Thanks for reporting this @florian.hanner and welcome to the community! :partying_face:

It happens the same in similar RHEL based distros like Oracle Linux, CentOS or Rocky.

@n00b Please use 2.1.0p29. Or does it also persist there?

Hello Martin,

I had the RAW p27 in Oracle Linux 9 when I detected the issue (high cpu usage and graphs not being created), manual installation of perl-lib fixed the perfdata errors, graphs are getting created with punctual ERROR 7 appearing in logs, the only issue we see is the var/rrdcached/ directory getting full of rrd.journal.* files.

None of the following reconfigurations have worked for processing the “stale” journal files: A flush rrd via the socket, update to latest omd, fine tune the related config files -updating timeouts, load thresholds-, upgrade vcpus from 4 to 6 (120 hosts, 2400 checks).

This behavior only happens in the 2.x version, same configurations in 1.6.0p24.cre work as expected (graphs created, only a couple of rrd journal files) with quite lower CPU, memory and IO usage (in 2.x service check performance jumps from 2 to 33 seconds without a clear reason).

Dear all,

Minor update about our issue.

Strangly enough, restarting the omd.service via systemctl restart omd.service fixed the rddcached issue. Restarting only the instance did not process previous journal files nor generated graphs.

1 Like