Not able to monitor SMB v2 Shares

I upgraded to 1.6.0p8.cre (from 1.2.6p5.cre) last week and now all the SMB shares I was monitoring that use SMB v2 now say “Result from smbclient not suitable”. I looked on the rule page to see if there was a way to enable SMB v2 but I didn’t see a way. I also checked /omd/sites/prod/version/share/check_mk/checks/check_disk_smb and didn’t see a way to enable it there either.

The shares on the only machine with SMB v1 still enabled are still able to be monitored though.

Any suggestions?

Hello,
the Nagios plugin check_disk_smb included in CMK does not support the protocol option for smbclient. There seems to be a newer plugin for this here: check_smb3.

Karl

1 Like

So if I add that to the checks folder there will be a check_smb3 rule or do I have to create that myself?

Hello,
copy this file to local/lib/nagios/plugins. Then you create the rule “Host & Service Parameters” -> “Active Checks” -> “Classical active and passive monitoring checks”:

Karl

I copied the file, made sure it had the same permissions as the other file in there, restarted OMD and I still don’t see it in the active checks page. I remember having this problem when I added the check_x224 (for RDP) plugin a while back but I don’t remember what I did to fix it :frowning:

I just noticed that the x224 check is missing now too…

Ok I see it now, I didn’t realize it was a rule, I was looking for a separate section with those checks listed. I think I can get it from here.

Thank you so much!

Hi,
you got it :slight_smile:

Karl

Hi all,

we have the same issue with SMB3 but we don’t use checkmk RAW edition. We have the checkmk enterprise which don’t have the nagios core. How can we solve this issue here?

Thanks,
Eric