One Rule to monitor "n" enforced Services

Hello Community,

is there a way to create only one rule for monitoring more then one “enforced” service?
For now i guess, i have to create one rule for every “enforced” service.

Thanks for feedback!

BR
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

as far is i know the answer is no.
As every ruleset needs manual input and there is no possibility to use several text boxes e.g. for services, i think this is not possible in the GUI.
What you can do is to create the rules with the rest api, if you have a lot of rules to create.

2 Likes

Assuming the values for the enforced rules are always identical:
You could create several enforced rules that match the same tag, then you can assign the tag to a host or folder and it should then receive all enforced rules.
This would also allow you to create different sets as required.
Alternatively, this should also work with labels.

1 Like

Thats not possible, each enforced service is different, there is no way to do this in a good way. There is also not always good documentation.

@MarcS that’s not correct, there are no generic rule for enforced services, there is one for each built-in plugin (and might be for other extensions)

It would be nice it there would be one generic, similar to how “Windows Service” works. I just want to add the Service name that I expect and get a CRIT if this service is missing. This would allow to monitor local scripts as well without having to convert them to a plugin.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @Anders. I may not have explained this correctly :wink:

Assuming I want to apply several enforced services with the same threshold values to all Palo Altos imported in the monitoring, I assign the tag “PaloAlto” to each host and create the enforced rules that match the tag “PaloAlto”.

Then the next time I import a new host, I have automatically activated the rule for the host and don’t need to create it separately.

I admit that this is not quite the answer to @dns_es question, but it would be a good way of dealing with the enforced rules without having to create a new rule for each host.

Kind regards

This is the way how you deal with rules in general I could say :slight_smile:
We dont use use tags as they are still static. but we use Host Labels for this (and many other purposes) - we have millions of host labels in our checkmk installation. In our case we labels for manufacturer and model so we can easily create rules for BGP that is only targeted a specific router model and brand.