Periodic activation of changes from special user

We have implemented scripts on some of our dynamic environments to de-/activate the monitoring of them, when they boot up / or are shut down (automatically). The script also contains a part for the activation of the changes, but this is only triggered, when no changes from other (real users) are watining for activiation,

This causes that the changes from the scripts are applied often far to late - so the question would be, is there a way to periodicly apply the changes of that special user automatically?

What changes are you trying to activate?
If you mean monitored services, there is the periodic service discovery.
I use this together with a script which adds the freshly deployed host to the monitoring and then the periodic service discovery (which I set to 5 m) happens and activates all services & labels. This way, I do not need that what you are trying to achieve (activate changes made by user X).
Otherwise, you should try to reduce creating those changes. What I mean by that is to set them to downtime instead of removing and adding the hosts to the monitoring.

Thx for the reply. Creating a “Maintenance” would possibly work - partly - but, as those are really a lot of hosts we prefere to deactivate the monitoring for them - to reduce resource usage on the checkMK instance (hosts in maintenance are still checked … ). - We do this by setting a host tag - and this is the change that needs to be activated.

Using the time periods, to only activate monitoriong in certain times, is not possible either, because the hosts are put up or down dynamically depending on the load (not by human).

But looking for new host tags is something, which can be done by periodic service discovery without applying any changes:

I just implemented this last week in our setup, because we set labels by a deploy script in /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/plugins and want them to become active automatically :slight_smile:

OK - i’ve found the solution using the restAPI - where you can “force foreign changes” - together with the parameter option for the dedicated sites we’re using in this process, we can elminate the manual need of the activation at night.

Only that we can not post a comment within the activation is not nice.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.