Plugin Versioning

To get a better overview about the plugins it would be very helpful to have a version number at each plugin.

I think for some, there is something in the making.
We also thought that feature is really great and helpful

CMK_VERSION=“2.0.0p12” is now, if I see it correct in all plugins
@JPH satisfied? :wink:

Hello
Yes that’s correct!
Jipieiye!
I hope the check and the rules we’ve ordered will be implemented soon as well.

tell us more! Feature request I guess?

The plan/FR is to get a rule to discover plugins which are not in the versioning range we expect, for example the plugins has the same version like the checkmk monitoring server.
The problem we’ve is that the customers and we as admins deployed some plugins long time ago and we don’t know there version. Ok currently we don’t use the agent bakery which will solves some problems but we’ve some servers which are special and we need the overview about all plugins and there version state.

more or less similiar to what we wanted/needed at the end (also not using the bakery) - let’s see what happens and hope it does.
We initially requested parts of it back in 092019

tribe29 started to use the cmk patch release number (2.0.0p12) as Version Number for there plugins. All plugins delivered with the patch release automatically get the same version number as the cmk release even if nothing has changed functionally.

The disadvantage of using the cmk patch release number as plugin version is that the plugin version number does not indicate whether something has changed in the functionality of the plugin itself.

Hello,
Maybe you can open an feature request, so that the disadvantage will be solved?
This would be perfekt.
Greetings
JP

1 Like

We had advised them at the time against using the cmk version number for plugin versioning and to use standalone version numbers instead. But they decided against our advice.