OS version:
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on CheckMK Server / Windows Server 20129 on monitored host

Plugin
win_printers.ps1

Error message:

<<<win_printers>>>
Get-WMIObject : Critical error 
At C:\ProgramData\checkmk\agent\plugins\win_printers.ps1:19 char:14
+ ... Data_Set1 = Get-WMIObject Win32_PerfFormattedData_Spooler_PrintQueue  ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WmiObject], ManagementException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMIManagementException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand

Get-WmiObject : Critical error 
At C:\ProgramData\checkmk\agent\plugins\win_printers.ps1:20 char:14
+ $Data_Set2 = Get-WmiObject win32_printer | ?{$_.PortName -notmatch '^ ...
+              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WmiObject], ManagementException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMIManagementException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand

I am trying to monitor a Windows print server and for this reason I have distributed the plugin for it (Windows Printer Queues and States).

The problem is that not all printers that are set up in the print server are detected/output by CheckMK.
The printers are also not included in the agent output.

As you can see here on the pictures only the printers with the name starting from VH05_ are shown.
But the names start at OKI or VH00_.

When I run win_printers.ps1 manually on the server, I get the above error message and then the list of printers that can be seen in CheckMK.
It does not matter if win_printers.ps1 is run as administrator or not. The result is always the same.

When I execute the commands in the script individually, the first command displays more printers but not all.
The second command displays the printers that appear in CheckMK.

$Data_Set1 = Get-WMIObject Win32_PerfFormattedData_Spooler_PrintQueue | Select Name, Jobs | Sort Name
$Data_Set2 = Get-WmiObject win32_printer | ?{$_.PortName -notmatch '^TS'} | Select Name, @{name="Jobs";exp={$null}}, PrinterStatus, DetectedErrorState | Sort Name

It looks like not all printers are queried. Probably because of the error that occurs?

This only occurs on servers that have many printers (>100). On another server that has only 14 printers I do not have the problem.

Has anyone here had the same problem and possibly a solution or any idea what else I can try?

SOLUTION:
Delete printer name and write the same name again. There must have been non-visible errors with the characters…

How to find problematic printer:
Run Get-WMIObject Win32_PerfFormattedData_Spooler_PrintQueue and wait until the error message is displayed in Powershell.
See which is the last printer before the error message.
In the list of printers (sorted by name) rename the next printer or delete the name and type it in again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.