Question about SNMP discovery

Hello,

I just started monitoring with checkmk but I have an issue which I don’t understand. Maybe someone can clarify this for me. I’m using snmpv3 to monitor some switches and it works well. However adding a device and running a service discovery via the web ui does not work. However using cmk -Iv via cosole works. All services were discovered and when I update the site, all services show up. By using cmk -Ivv I can confirm that snmpv3 is used for discovery and snmpbulk is also used.

From reading the documentation (Monitoring via SNMP - Monitoring of SNMP devices with Checkmk) to make discovery work, I only have to enable snmpv2c bulkwalk in the snmp agent rules and enable “Network interface and switch port discovery” in discovery rules.

So I think service discovery in the web ui should work. Am I misunderstanding something? What steps would you recommend for troubleshooting this?

Kind regards,
Klinger

I updated to 2.1.0p28 but that hadn’t any effect.
Maybe I’m misunderstanding something and service discovery only works with agents and not with SNMP.

Hi @Klinger

The service discovery is a universal Checkmk feature for all data sources, not just agents. And normally it does work from the Web UI. So that is very strange.

What devices specifically are you monitoring?

Best
Elias

Does this happen (or not happen, rather) when you set up a host and go to the service configuration?

As well as when you run the service discovery for an already added host?

Hello @elias.voelker

Does this happen (or not happen, rather) when you set up a host and go to the service configuration?

It happens for new and existing hosts.

What devices specifically are you monitoring?

I’m monitoring several Aruba switches. From the verbose output of the console, I can tell that some hp switch mibs are used.

The service discovery is a universal Checkmk feature for all data sources, not just agents.

OK So the discovery should work for snmp hosts too. Which log files should I check to get more information? Can I increase the loglevel for the discovery?

Kind regards,
Nico