"rediscovery scheduled" is not processed - which component should do it?

Hi,

I disagree that there is no valid host check. The CheckMK agent is running, callable, retrieves a ton of services via discovery these are just not activated as checkmk still uses ping (disregarding its own rule)

I aggree that this may be an edge case but I would assume that using standard features should work - it seems more than a overseen dependency between these two functions.

To be sure:
I used this standard rule:

and this standard rule:

The CheckMK agent is also working - it is just not called as checkmk still uses ping even it is configured to use agent.

directly after adding a new host:

waiting for 2 minutes the discovery finds all services:

and stays in this situation. If I manually use “Edit Services” and activate all services the host check is replaced. cmk -vv --discover-marked-hosts should do the same but will do nothing.

If I patch discovery.py and remove the “skip not up host” everything works as expected!

Even it is an edge case I would call this definitly a bug. The only workaround is to either patch the discovery.py manually or to use tcp port 6556 as host check (but I do not know if this would work or would have the same issues) - but I assume the agent would be triggered twice (via host check and via check mk check). This should be the reason there is an explicit “use check mk agent” as host check

Just removing the skip in discovery.py fixes this issue and at least a verbose output about skipping as “host not up” should be added to get this situation at all.

Regards Michael

1 Like