[Release] Checkmk stable release 2.3.0

Dear friends of Checkmk,

the new stable release 2.3.0 of Checkmk is ready for download.

We are proud to bring you the new Checkmk 2.3.0 release, with major
improvements to future-proof your IT monitoring.

Take a look at our latest version page to learn more about Checkmk 2.3:

We start a new era for application monitoring with Checkmk with the new add-on for Synthetic Monitoring: Checkmk Synthetic Monitoring. This is complemented by a complete rework of our web services monitoring with the new Check HTTP web service and Check certificates with a lot of new useful features.

Checkmk MSP, our product for managed service providers, receives a major upgrade with all Checkmk Cloud features included in it.
Interested in the juicy details? Join us for our 10th Checkmk Conference (June 11th-13th, 2024) to learn all about Checkmk 2.3.

Checkmk 2.3 requires slightly higher system resources. For more details and further important hints, we recommend reading the 2.3.0 update guide: Update to version 2.3.0

All changes can be found here: Werks

10 Likes

Hi! Congrats for the new milestone in CMK life-cycle.

RedHat recently announce 4 more years for RHEL 7 which is widely spread. My humble request is your organization to reconsider RHEL 7 builds for version 2.3 and above as 4 more years means (probably) 3 major versions on CMK.
Thanks!

Hey Daniel,

Indeed, that’s great news, although: to be expected from the moment probably thousands
of organizations simply wanna “stay” with RHEL 7.x as long as possible for whichever reason.

Just be advised, that “ELS” is not for free. You must purchase an “Addon subscription” in order to have some limited support in this life cycle phase. Details can be found via the following URLs:

Regards,
Thomas

Nothing is for free and a company which is able to pay for CMK support can handle the RHEL 7 support as well. Not free and limited are not real argument here. The time is.

Hi Daniel,

I just wanted to say, that if one wants to continue receiving support from RedHat
beyond the official life cycle, one needs an additional subscription, for which one may
have to pay through the nose sooner or later. That’s all.

On another note, “Nothing is for free”, is quite the bold statement, to which I do not agree: All has not been said and done by the peoples of this world. Or to put it differently:

Change the world, it needs it.
(“Ändere die Welt, sie braucht es.” - Bertolt Brecht)

:slight_smile:

Regards,
Thomas

Checkmk 2.3.0 have a higher CPU load than 2.2.0p25. CPU load increase from 20% to 40%

We are aware of an increase as mentioned in the release announcement and in the update guide. I will contact you via PM as we are interested in further details.

Hey Daniel,

thanks! Checkmk 2.2.0 will continue to have RHEL7 support.Take a look at the 2.2.0 release notes - which we introduced back then to give you the security in planning ahead. We discussed already back then with several of our larger customers with thousands of servers how they see the deprecation of RHEL7 and all of them agreed that this is a sensible move.
Passive maintenance for Checkmk 2.2.0 ends on 2025-11-23. We believe this gives ample time to make the move towards a more up-to-date RHEL - especially since you don’t have to migrate your entire infrastructure up, just your monitoring server. The Checkmk agent still supports much older Linux systems.
Cheers, Martin

Hello everyone,

If anyone is interested in “what this means” for CentOS 7.x: CentOS 7.x reaches
EOL on June 30, 2024: There will be no more updates.

If one must continue with this distribution release, CIQ - the commercial entity
supporting Rocky Linux - offers a subscription to extend its life cycle, too, called
“CIQ Bridge”.

References:

Regards,
Thomas

1 Like

Hello,
I see on mime, that a feature I am using will be deprecated soon. Is it possible to have some support please? I have an enterprise version.
Thanks

Please contact our support team to discuss workarounds/solutions. They can then forward stuff to 3rd level for analysis/decision.