RobotMK samples

Hi all. I’m looking at using RobotMK to monitor an internal web application - I need it to log into a given URL, enter a string into a search box and submit, then report back on the output (pretty much just to determine if the application is working or not). Are there any samples out there I can use as a starting point?

Thanks in advance!

@dai.webb welcome to the forum.

Here’s the RobotMK github repo: GitHub - elabit/robotmk: Robotmk - the Robot Framework integration for Checkmk
Maybe there are some examples there.

@simonm is the person you want to talk to.

Hello @dai.webb and welcome to the forum :wave:

First of all, don’t concentrate on Robotmk. 95% of the skills you need for synthetic tests are not related to Robotmk, but to writing good Robot Framework tets cases.
When your RF test runs OK by hand, it’s only a small step to integrate it with Robotmk into Checkmk.

Regarding your question: have a look on the examples at Examples Overview | ROBOT FRAMEWORK
My advise is to use the Browser Library instead of the Selenium Library.
The docs and the User Guide are good resources.
Try first to get an example running, then change it to your needs.

You can also pre-register for the Robotmk Academy if you are interested. In these videos I will share my best practices with Robot Framework, especially in the field of Synthetic Monitoring with Checkmk.

If something is unclear, I am happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Simon

2 Likes

Hi Simon! I have a working VSCode task.robot, but now I’m trying to port the suite to a Linux host already in my CMK lab. I am not having much luck.
Can you please elaborate on “…it’s only a small step to integrate it with…” CheckMK?

Monitor: Debian 12, CEE 2.2.p14, robotmk v1.4.2 MKP installed and activated
Client: Debian 12 with a customized agent to deploy the RobotMK plugin, and suite deployed in /usr/lib/check_mk_agent/robot/SUITE/SUITE.robot.
Issue: After installing missing pip dependencies listed in the agent output, the CheckMK Discovery service for the client machine is crashing and no new services are shown.

Hi Brian,

inside the plugins folder, there should be a subfolder with the number of seconds showing the execution interval. Inside of that, there should be the “runner” plugin of robotmk.
What happens when you execute this with python3 robotmk-runner.py -v ? With -v you should see the information written also into the log and whether the execution of suites succeeded.
If that works, try to execute robotmk.py. Does it produce agent output?

Also verify that your suite does not produce any output on stdout (done by Log To Console, for example). The runner, exeucted without -v should not show any output.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask, if not!
Regards,
Simon

To not further hijack this thread I started a new one: Issues migrating working Windows VSCode robot.tasks to RobotMK in 2.2

I have some homework to do in order to get the libraries working it seems.