Setting up checkMK monitoring for kubernetes cluster with multiple masters

Hi everyone,

At the moment we’re using checkMK v2.0.
I’ve been working through the monitoring setup for kubernetes from this documentation page:

When I get to section 2.4 Adding a Kubernetes cluster to the monitoring, it indicates the following:

1. Create a host in Checkmk for the Kubernetes master (Kubernetes control plane).

But the cluster I want to add for monitoring has 3 masters [0, 1 & 2] as our setup is similar to the HA Topology shown here: Options for Highly Available Topology | Kubernetes

So do I have then have to create a host for each of the masters to start off with? And how do I then indicate that in the rule set that has to be created at step 2.?
Or do I initially only create a host for master-0 and then the dynamic host configuration will pick up the additional masters along with the worker nodes?

Thanx in advance for any assistance! :slight_smile:

Here is a screenshot of the nodes in the cluster I’d like to add to the checkmk monitoring, in case someone with a similar node setup is already using checkmk for monitoring on their K8s cluster, but the inclusion of the topology link in the original post was confusing the issue instead of clarifying it. :slight_smile:

I have a two clusters with a setup like this.
In both the setups, the request to the Kubernetes API is load balanced to either of these control-plane.

In my case, I have a single ingress which sends the traffic to either of these control-plane nodes. You should configure something like that

Hi davidwayne,

Thanx for your response. :grinning:

We also operate with a single ingress for this cluster.
What did you use as hostname for monitoring then instead of the master node?
The ingress url/ip-address?

Yes, the ingress is enough.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.