Status data not shown in inventory

Hi,

I’ve enabled status data inventory, as described in 5. Status data (checkmk.com)

But I can’t see any status data in invetory. What could I be doing wrong? Can anyone confirm this actually works? I’ve already asked in March, but didn’t get a reply. In the meantime we purchased the enterprise-edition, and it’s still not working (or I am misunderstanding something).

Regards
Christian

Another related question; is there a documentation available on how to write custom inventory-plugins? I can’t find anything.

For example, I would like to add local filesystems, disks and mysql-databases to the hosts inventory. Do I get this right, that I need to create a script in ~/local/share/check_mk/inventory to parse agent-output in a form usable in inventory? Is this probably necessary to use the Status data collected for inventory at all?

What exactly do you miss on the status data inside the inventory?
To your second question - if you want extra information inside the inventory tree then you have to write your own inventory plugins.

Very basic example https://github.com/Yogibaer75/Check_MK-Things/blob/master/datasource-programms/agent_ilo/inventory/ilo_firmware

Complex plugin https://thl-cmk.hopto.org/gitlab/checkmk/cisco/wlc/inv_cisco_wlc_clients/-/blob/master/inventory/snmp_cisco_wlc_clients

You see there are a wide range of inventory plugins but every plugin only adds data to the inventory tree for the host.

2 Likes

What exactly do you miss on the status data inside the inventory?

Basically anything. I do not see a difference after activating “Status data inventory”. Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of this option. I thought there would be a section with the services monitored, this would be very handy as a resource for our cmdb. But there is just nothing new after activation.

Thanks a lot for the examples, I will try to create a simple script to include filsystems in inventory, if status data is not the way to achieve this.

Status data is only used in some inventory plugins. Like the interface inventory if i remember correctly.

I thought interfaces are parsed from the inventory-plugin only. I can see interfaces with their current state (up/down) also when I explicitly set “Do not status data inventory”. I really don’t see anything more when enabling status data inventory.

I think status data inventory is just not what I thought it was, so I will have to write my own plugins (and share if I am successful) to see filesystems/volumes in inventory. Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

Filesystems and volumes from normal servers (Linux/Windows) are shown inside the inventory if you use the mk_inventory plugin. I think it is easier to use this before you start writing it on your own :wink:

I don’t see filesystems and/or volumes in inventory, nowhere on 400 hosts where mk_inventory is deployed via agent bakery. Where should it be located in the inventory tree?

On my hosts i see the drives like this one

If you need the filesystems like they are shown inside the services of a host then you are right that it is not included inside the inventory data.
But one question from my side, why do you need the checked filesystems inside the inventory data?

Storage is completely missing. Is there any plugin involved delivering the data? Or is this a Windows-server? I see hardware.storage.disks built in ~/share/check_mk/inventory/win_disks, but there is no lnx_disks.

The reason is that we want to use inventory-data to feed our CMDB where local filesystems should be included for capacity management. Maybe an alternative would be to fetch inventory and then the service-overview of a host with &output_format=json for an automatic import/update, but if I remember correctly I read somewhere in the documentation that this will not be supported any longer and might stop working in the future.

I’m only providing the data, not importing to the CMDB. The people involved in importing don’t like to use service-overview for that purpose. (I don’t really know why, and this is surely not a problem with Checkmk :wink: )

We also would like to extend the inventory with information about DB2-instances as it happens with Oracle-databases, that’s why I would like to understand how to write inventory-plugins, also a nice opportunity to improve my Python-skill :slight_smile:

Yes the screenshot was from a Windows machine.
The data gathered are from the mk_inventory.vbs
But it should also be possible to have such information from a Linux host.

You don’t need to use the service overview. For such an data extraction from the monitoring data i would create a own view with only the needed information for your CMDB not the complete service table with icons and so on.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.