Strange SNMP Problem

CMK version:
2.0.0p17 (CME)
OS version:
Centos 8.5.2111

Hi all,
I’m currently having some SNMP issues with our CheckMK server. I am setting up our Cisco Switches to be monitored by CheckMK via SNMPv3 authpriv.

When I input the SNMP configuration into the host and click ‘save and go to connection tests’ it doesn’t seem to save the configuration. Within the connection test window it successfully connects via SNMP v1 and v2 but will not connect via SNMPv3 it comes back with an error of ‘Failed to initiate SNMP (Maybe name resolution issue)’ however, within the connections tests window, if I input the password and Privacy pass phrase it will successfully connect but this configuration will not save either.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have been working with our network guy who has confirmed that the creds for SNMP are correct.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I’ve got the exact same issue; did you manage to sort the shituation out and if so, how?

In such a case i would first look at the SNMP config on the command line.
With cmk -D hostname you should see the SNMP credentials configured.
If there is all correct the next step is to check the real SNMP command used by the system.
With CRE you only need to do a cmk --debug -vvI hostname and see directly the executed SNMP command line.
If CEE or CME is used you need to change the SNMP backend for this host to the classic one.
Rule “Hosts using a specific SNMP Backend (Enterprise Edition only)”
Over the last months i had sometimes the problem with single SNMPv3 hosts that they are not working with the inline SNMP backend. These hosts needed to be changed to the classic backend.
It was only on SNMPv3 hosts.

1 Like

We eventually took the decision to move to ‘SNMP community (SNMP V1 and 2C)’ instead of authpriv.

Thanks for the responses (both of you); I’ll play around with it and see what I can do. If I manage to solve it I’ll update this thread…

I tried the commands suggested and the user/passwords are correct, so I tried making my NAS (a QNAP) into a classic backend one and that got me further. However, when I run ‘cmk --debug -vvI’ command one of the snmpbulkwalks fails, the python script raise and exception and stops.
-I’ve tried to run the snmpbulkwalk command manually which also results in a timeout, to no one’s surprise…

As a new user, I’m not allowed to upload files, so I paste a the error received here. Is there anything I can do on the NAS or the OMD side to fix this, or is it possibly a bug?

Many thanks in advance!

qnap_disks: Fetching data (SNMP walk cache is disabled)
Running ‘snmpbulkwalk -Cr10 -v3 -l authPriv -a md5 -u -A -x DES -X -m “” -M “” -Cc -OQ -OU -On -Ot .1.3.6.1.4.1.24681.1.2.11.1.2’
Running ‘snmpbulkwalk -Cr10 -v3 -l authPriv -a md5 -u -A -x DES -X -m “” -M “” -Cc -OQ -OU -On -Ot .1.3.6.1.4.1.24681.1.2.11.1.3’
Running ‘snmpbulkwalk -Cr10 -v3 -l authPriv -a md5 -u -A -x DES -X -m “” -M “” -Cc -OQ -OU -On -Ot .1.3.6.1.4.1.24681.1.2.11.1.4’
Running ‘snmpbulkwalk -Cr10 -v3 -l authPriv -a md5 -u -A -x DES -X -m “” -M “” -Cc -OQ -OU -On -Ot .1.3.6.1.4.1.24681.1.2.11.1.5’
Running ‘snmpbulkwalk -Cr10 -v3 -l authPriv -a md5 -u -A -x DES -X -m “” -M “” -Cc -OQ -OU -On -Ot .1.3.6.1.4.1.24681.1.2.11.1.6’
Running ‘snmpbulkwalk -Cr10 -v3 -l authPriv -a md5 -u -A -x DES -X -m “” -M “” -Cc -OQ -OU -On -Ot .1.3.6.1.4.1.24681.1.2.11.1.7’
qnap_fans: Fetching data (SNMP walk cache is disabled)
Running ‘snmpbulkwalk -Cr10 -v3 -l authPriv -a md5 -u -A -x DES -X -m “” -M “” -Cc -OQ -OU -On -Ot .1.3.6.1.4.1.24681.1.2.15.1.3’
ERROR: SNMP error: Timeout: No Response from
[cpu_tracking] Stop [7fdcdbeb36d0 - Snapshot(process=posix.times_result(user=0.2799999999999998, system=0.26, children_user=3.13, children_system=0.35, elapsed=12.21000000089407))]
Trying to acquire lock on /omd/sites/mySite/var/check_mk/crashes/base/2ed188ce-c4af-11ec-a5cd-64006a3144f8/crash.info
Got lock on /omd/sites/mySite/var/check_mk/crashes/base/2ed188ce-c4af-11ec-a5cd-64006a3144f8/crash.info
Releasing lock on /omd/sites/mySite/var/check_mk/crashes/base/2ed188ce-c4af-11ec-a5cd-64006a3144f8/crash.info
Released lock on /omd/sites/mySite/var/check_mk/crashes/base/2ed188ce-c4af-11ec-a5cd-64006a3144f8/crash.info
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/snmp.py”, line 342, in _fetch_from_io
_from, until, _section = persisted_sections[section_name]
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/cache.py”, line 42, in getitem
return self._store.getitem(key)
KeyError: SectionName(‘qnap_fans’)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/omd/sites/mySite/bin/cmk”, line 92, in
exit_status = modes.call(mode_name, mode_args, opts, args)
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/base/modes/init.py”, line 69, in call
return handler(*handler_args)
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/base/modes/check_mk.py”, line 1542, in mode_discover
discovery.do_discovery(
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/base/discovery.py”, line 370, in do_discovery
fetcher_messages=list(
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/base/checkers/_checkers.py”, line 238, in fetch_all
raw_data = source.fetch()
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/base/checkers/_abstract.py”, line 163, in fetch
return fetcher.fetch(self.mode)
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/_base.py”, line 268, in fetch
return result.OK(self._fetch(mode))
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/_base.py”, line 286, in _fetch
raw_data = self._fetch_from_io(mode)
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/snmp.py”, line 348, in _fetch_from_io
fetched_data[section_name] = [
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/snmp.py”, line 349, in
snmp_table.get_snmp_table(
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/snmplib/snmp_table.py”, line 82, in get_snmp_table
rowinfo = _get_snmpwalk(
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/snmplib/snmp_table.py”, line 188, in _get_snmpwalk
rowinfo = _perform_snmpwalk(section_name, base, fetchoid, backend=backend)
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/snmplib/snmp_table.py”, line 204, in _perform_snmpwalk
rows = backend.walk(
File “/omd/sites/mySite/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/snmp_backend/classic.py”, line 137, in walk
raise MKSNMPError(“SNMP Error on %s: %s (Exit-Code: %d)” %
cmk.utils.exceptions.MKSNMPError: SNMP Error on : Timeout: No Response from (Exit-Code: 1)

What you can see in the line before the timeout is that it tries to fetch the data for the “qnap_fans” check. If this command is also not working manually, as you wrote. You can only disable the qnap_fans check with the rule “Disabled or enabled sections (SNMP)”. Then you can test again if you get more timeouts.
But in the end it is strange that the QNAP has these problems. I have some different QNAPs in my monitoring systems and they work well as far as i know.

I’m learning a lot here; thanks a million! :slightly_smiling_face:

I got a lot of inconsistent results when enabling and disabling the the qnap_fans; at one point the qnap_disks which was previously failing raised a timeout error. So, I tried enabling the qnap_fans check again and instead increased my SNMP timer to 2 seconds (Timing settings for SNMP access) and now it seems to be working.

Many THANKS for your help!

Yess, we’re back to the question about the ‘S’ in SNMP… :grin:

When it comes to things that do not work, it may be worth reading this troubleshooting article:

BTW: great it’s working for you now, but I don’t think this solves the initial issue with connection tests page, does it?

The problem here is the inline SNMP. In the 2.0 it has strange problems with v3.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.