Support for SNMP INFORM

Hello,

Are there any plans to support SNMP INFORM requests in Checkmk?

Many thanks!

I am doing SNMP for 20+ years now and have just heard about SNMP INFORM now.

https://technarrator.com/tech-help/snmp-trap-vs-inform/

I do not think that it is widely used and will therefor not be implemented by checkmk. Any device capable of using SNMP INFORM should also be able to just send SNMP Traps.

I think the INFORM feature has been around since SNMPv2, so from about 20 years ago… The game changing difference between TRAP and INFORM is that INFORMs are acknowledged whereas TRAPs are fire and forget. Considering the primary transport for SNMP is UDP, this is even more relevant for any system needing production-grade, reliable, robust alarm delivery. In a world where uncertainty is certain, highly available systems will depend on features such as SNMP INFORM.

Many thanks!

Just for my own curiosity, since I’ve never seen this before, what device do you have that is using INFORM?

My feeling is that such systems will not rely on SNMP.

Just for my own curiosity, since I’ve never seen this before, what device do you have that is using INFORM?

Hello, it’s an in-house solution based on Net-SNMP tools.

My feeling is that such systems will not rely on SNMP.

Yes, fair point but if not SNMP INFORM, which protocol/feature is the industry standard or preferred for reliable, timely delivery of alarms?

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.