TCP Connection Timeout

Check MK 1.6.0p9
Ubuntu 18.04

Good morning Check MK Community,

Currently I’m noticing the hosts that are monitored with just a “PING” request are timing out periodically at an average of 1 minute. (see picture attached)

Is there a service or parameter I could make a rule against to introduce a buffer period of a minute in order to reduce false positive alarms?

For reference the hosts that are monitored just using the PING check are typically using SNMP and not the agent.

As always any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

-Justin

Hi,
have a look into this section of the manual: https://docs.checkmk.com/latest/en/intro_finetune.html

You should use the setting Maximum number of check attempts.

Karl

1 Like

Thank you Karl, exactly what I was looking for. I just applied a new value for the max attempts and almost have all my false positive alarms no longer appearing in my dashboard.

Appreciate the quick reply!

-Justin

For something like an Aruba 2930m switch (in your professional opinion) what would you consider a good number to set this to? Currently I have it set to 3 and seems to be working fairly well.

Hi Justin,

3 check attempts in general are fine. But on the other hand you should be concerned of intermittent RTA’s of > 1000ms. That’s not normal.

1 Like

The RTA of 1000ms is a SAP Zebra Printer. It is in fact flapping, but I’m not really sure how the network connection works for it. I agree - I do see it timing out periodically.

OK, if just the Zebra printers are affected it is not an issue, as their embedded TCP/IP is not the best. So I would address this with check attempts then.

1 Like

Perfect, again thank you for the insightful information and assist, it’s always appreciated.

FYI - I am not a huge fan of Zebra as the interface seems very wonky at best.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.