TLS / Port 443 and / pointing to default site

Hello,

yesterday I installed CheckMK 2.0. I am not new to CheckMK and have used previous versions at my former employer extensively. Now there are two thing I havent been able to figure out on my own:

1. I want the external Apache to listen on Port 443 and use a TLS-Certificate which I will provide. Requests on Port 80 should be redirected to Port 443.
  2. I have only one site and would prefer if I only had to enter / instead of /consulting1x1 after the Server URL in order to access my site.

Yours faithfully
Stefan

1. is documented here: Operating Checkmk with HTTPS
  2. is not possible as the URL path component is needed for the reverse proxy AFAIK. But you can tell the system apache to redirect / to your instance name.
1 Like

Hello,

thanks for your advice. I added the the lines concerning the Rewrite Engine to /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default as it indicated by the link you showed me. After that I enabled the Headers Module because the last line’s “RequestHeader” would not work otherwise.

Knowing that I would need to to add the appropriate key and certificate I added the following lines to the file mentioned above:

<VirtualHost *:443>

SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl/wildcard.consulting1x1.info.2021.crt

SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl/wildcard.consulting1x1.info.2021.key

apachectl -t says the syntax is correct but the webserver throws an error and says: ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

I guess I have to add the the lines regarding SSL into another file. Can you point out which file I have to edit to get working TLS with Apache listening on Port 443? Are there any additional edits I have to make to enable TLS?

Yours sincerely
Stefan

I suspect the documentation needs some work - it looks like it’s missing quite a bit for an Ubuntu install (at least).

You’ll need an “SSL config” of some sort - you can do this a variety of ways:

You’ll need a couple of other bits too - you need to load the SSL module (so can do something with mods-available/ssl.load, or do it yourself in your new config file). You’ll also need to customise the ssl.conf to your setup (location of certs, etc).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.