Trouble disabling PING

CMK 2.1.0p16
OS version: Alma Linux 8

Hello all,
I am new to CheckMK and I am in the process of migrating a lot (> 500) of hosts from Nagios.

I have a folder which contains specific hosts for which I want to check the SSL certificate validity ONLY. I have successfully added a check for the SSL cert to all the hosts using service monitoring rules and labels and they return the required check and status as desired.
However, they all have a PING service attached. Ping is blocked on these hosts, and I wish to disable it.

I have tried setting the host check command to “TCP connect 443” and in the reporting status of the hosts are “UP” but the ping service remains attached to these hosts and marked as down.

I’ve googled, checked the forums, and tried many suggestions I’ve found but I can’t seem to get the ping service removed.

Any help on the steps I need to take to remove the PING service would be appreciated, bearing in mind I may not yet have fully grasped the logic of CheckMK …

TIA
Dan

It is not possible to reliably detect the host state if Ping is forbidden. Thus, you should add a rule of type Host check command and select Always assume host to be up. This can be done for single hosts or for an entire folder.

If you still find a PING check, rediscover the services of the host.

There is a rule for ICMP/PING, is that enabled? Do you have NO API … No Agent selected on your host?

Dear Both,
Many thanks for your replies; it helped me look in the right places to achieve what I want.

What I ended up doing was

1. Add a Label to my hosts via the folder (using inheritance) with a value of “Host:NoPing”

2. Setup>Hosts>Host monitoring rules>Host Check Command
    Define a new check rule with “Assume host is always up” and add condition of label has “Host:NoPing”

3. Setup>Services>HTTP, TCP, Email, …>Check hosts with PING (ICMP Echo Request)
    Set the rule “Check All hosts with ping” to have a “not has” “Host:NoPing” condition.

This resulted in the hosts in my folder only displaying the “check_ssl_cert” rule I have defined, exactly as I wanted.

All the best
Dan

1 Like

Checkmk will configure a PING check automatically if the host has no service check configured at all.
This prevents views like “Services of host” being empty.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.