Trying to locate "TenGigabitEthernet" in "Network interface port types to discover"

Hi,

We are new users of Check_MK Enterprise and have just updated our system to 1.6.0p18. A colleague is trying to configure a significant quantity of Cisco equipment using SNMP discovery and as part of this is looking to set up a rule that identifies “TenGigabitEthernet” ports. We have followed guidance from our support provider as follows:

“Host & Service Parameters” -> “Parameters for discovered services” -> “DISCOVERY - AUTOMATIC SERVICE DETECTION” Section -> " Network Interface and Switch Port Discovery " -> “Create a rule”
Then we want to select “TenGigabitEthernet” from this list:

However we don’t seem to be able to locate it in the list. Are we making a rooky mistake? Can anyone advise the correct “Network interface port type” unique identification number that matches “TenGigabitEthernet” please?

I can locate :

• 117 - gigabitEthernet
  • 26 - ethernet3Mbit

But not the one we need. If it isn’t available by default in this list is it possible to edit this list ourselves and add the required type?

As an aside is there a reason why the list is sorted by number order in a way that doesn’t cope with 10 being bigger than 2? e.g. 1,10,100,101,102,103,104,105,106,107,108,109,110,11,110… rather than numerical order so the sort is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12… Or is that “just the way it is”?

Thanks

Mike

1 Like

Hi Mike,
turn on the HW-/SW-Inventory for your device. When opening the HW-/SW-Inventory you get all information you need about the TCP port type in the Interfaces-section.

Sorting: “it’s just the way it is” :slight_smile:
Karl

6 Likes

@kdeutsch gave already the right direction if you cannot find your interfaces. Remember that most times the port type for physical interfaces is 6 (ethernetCsmacd). It has no impact if it is 10MB/100M/1G/10G or something else. Port type only differs if the connection is something really different like an ADSL or ISDN.

2 Likes

Thank you both. The issue we have is that we are trying to automate something using the “TYPE” field and there isn’t an entry in there for “TenGigabitEthernet” which seems odd. If that is what it is then we will have to look at other options. I don’t know if we can rely on the “Description” field being populated with text that says “TenGigabitEthernet” or the “Alias” field either. I will pass these on to my colleague to see if we can use these fields instead.

Hello,
the first option in the rule “Network Interface and Switch Port Discovery” allows to toggle between Index, Description or Alias.

Karl

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.