Unable to Integrate Fortigate Firewall

CMK version: CRE 1.6.0p9
OS version: CentOS Stream 8

Error message: SNMP Error on IPADDRESS: snmpbulkwalk: Timeout (Exit-Code: 1)

Hello,
we struggle at the moment to integrate a Fortigate Firewall into CheckMK.

Our IP Team has configured SNMP v3 on the Firewall, but SNMP connection always fails in an Timeout. Firewall rules to allow SNMP are in place.

When i did a cmk --debug -vvI hostname i get:

Discovering services on: hostname
hostname:
+ FETCHING DATA
 [snmp] No persisted sections loaded
 [snmp] Not using cache (Don't try it)
 [snmp] Execute data source
  SNMP scan:
       Getting OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0: Running 'snmpget -v3 -l authPriv -a md5 -u #### -A #### -x AES -X #### -m "" -M "" -On -OQ -Oe -Ot 10.2.163.33 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0'
ERROR: SNMP error
snmpget: Timeout

failed.
 [snmp] ERROR: Cannot fetch system description OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0. This might be OK for some bogus devices. In that case please configure the ruleset "Hosts without system description OID" to tell Check_MK not to fetch the system description and system object OIDs.

When i enable the Rule “Hosts without system description OID” i still get a Timeout issue.

The strange thing is, we have already some Fortigate Firewalls integrated (different Models), but for the above we struggle.

Hope someone can help out here.

BR,
Marc

This might help: Monitoring with SNMP: Troubleshooting in God Mode | Checkmk

You should also check on the Fortigate if SNMP is enabled on the interface you are contacting from checkmk (from the output i’m assuming it’s 10.2.163.33). Even if the SNMP-User is configured on the Fortigate you also have to explicitly enable the service on the interface for it to work.