Upgrade from an old version to new on separate boxes

Iā€™m preparing to do a project to update a very out of date CheckMK Install (1.2.8p27) to current. I know I can do a backup of the config to move it. Will I need to upgrade the current box in place in order to get the configuration to be restorable to a newer version?

Hello @jowens Welcome to Checkmk community.

To restore backup, check_mk version should be matched.

Take a clone of your current check_mk and try to update check_mk version to new one. once version is updated you can take backup and restore on another machine which should be having New checkmk version installed.

Regards,
DD

Hi,

you need the same installed check_mk version on the target server as on the source server and if you are installing a current distribution, you will probably have to update the source checkmk first, as far as you can go.
checkmk 2.0 supports from Ubuntu 16.04 up to 22.04 and Debian 9 to 11, so that might be a good version to migrate, but it depends on your os distribution and version.
After the migration of the site you can then update to 2.1 and 2.2.
Remember, that you will have to install every intermediate version:
1.2.8 ā†’ 1.4 ā†’ 1.5 ā†’ 1.6 ā†’ 2.0 ā†’ 2.1 ā†’ 2.2
Depending on the complexity and size of your environment that might be a good point to start from scratch.

3 Likes

The best way is to make a new clean instance. This will also help to clean up old things.

3 Likes