Used switch ports over time

Hi there,

We want to do a lifecycle of our switches. In the past, we patched every network jack on every desk but now, we want to downsize the switch infrastructure. Is there a way to summarize the online ports of a switch over the last 6 months. Because of covid and a huge ammount of home office there is no specific time where all ports are used at the same time.

We are monitoring all of our switches but currently not all interfaces. I think the first step is to monitor all interfaces and wait to collect data. But after that, is there a way to see which port was online?

best regards,

Jan

I have done something similar but with a bit more infrastructure around. I use a influxdb 2 where CheckMK exports the data of the switches to. There you can query for time range x and see, which ports you see. I automated it with a python script to see which interfaces of a switch are unused.

Hi Jan,

take a look at this article: Network Monitoring with Checkmk: 3 rules to rule them all | Checkmk

Towards the bottom, you’ll find a chapter on the inventory. With that (particularly the rule Parameters for switch port inventory) you can probably achieve what you’re looking for.

Hope this helps.