Using Passwords from the password store for device setup?

Hi, I did a search for some known passwords and usernames and noticed that checkmk seems to store them all in clear text files!

I read up about using the password store to combat this issue and created a test password in it, but when I go to my snmpv3 device’s host settings page, I don’t seem to have an option to select anything from the store.

Have I missed a step somewhere?

Attempted on both: OMD - Open Monitoring Distribution Version 2.1.0p26.cfe and Open Monitoring Distribution Version 2.2.0p13.cre

Hi bae-ver,

unfortunately the password store can not be used for snmp Passwords currently.

You can vote for this idea :

Thank you Andre, I have voted :slight_smile:

if you use the password store your passwords will still be stored in a way that the secret can be retrieved how else would checkmk know the password…?

the password store just makes it more convent for users

1 Like

Hi Anders,

If it was just for convenience, there would be no need for encryption! I have to encrypt my passwords, even if the password that decrypts them is stored in clear text.

Hi,
I’d recommend watching some of the talks from previous checkmk tech conferences. Checkmk wants to store the passwords in clear text so not confuse anyone that Checkmk somehow magically managed to store passwords using one-way encryption.

This was very clear when the “password store” where introduced as well, that this is not a place where you can securely store your passwords. The purpose is mainly that user A needs to perform a task, let’s say he/she needs to add a new networking switch. With a password store for SNMP Admin A could create that password/community and share it with the team user A is part of, without having to share the actual secret.

As Checkmk is open source you can easily decrypt the password at any point in time, so if you think you can store your LDAP password there, for example, to connect to, lets say an vCenter host you should think twice about that…

Hi Anders,

I read the release for the password store and I understand that CheckMk needs access to passwords in clear text to monitor devices.

I also get the irony of ever considering storing passwords in a file called ‘stored_passwords’ and then storing the password that decrypts it, in clear text, within a file called ‘password_store.secret’, as secure!

I just have a ‘Does product store passwords in clear text’ checkbox that needs a yes or a no and I have to reach out to suppliers when I think the answer is no.

Thanks for your help, appreciated :slight_smile: