Why Automated host creation is not a feature on other editions?

Hello All,

I’ve been a long time user now and configured and manage a bunch of CheckMK appliances.

A thing that I’ve always find ‘annoying’ or not optimal is the way we need to onboard machines on the tool or even remove it ( will explain further down).

My question really is, why isn’t the feature automatic host creation that we can find in the Cloud edition, also on other editions (enterprise e.g)?

We could setup the network scan but that would create some problems like connection to random stuff on the subnet.

A little a side of the topic but also on the topic is the removal of hosts.
I think it would be awesome if we could also remove hosts depending on other services like PING.

Correct me if Im wrong, but if you select the option No API integrations and No CheckMK Agent the Check_MK Service will always stay up so for network devices or SNMP devices the checkmk service will not go into critical and therefore not remove devices automatically (??).

Ps: I know automated host creation is kind of a new feature but it would be awesome to have. Just trying to get some info :wink:

Thanks!

Additional:

If you guys have a way of making this process easier or want to share the way you do it. Feel free!

Because in the end you just need to call one API endpoint to create a new host.

1 Like

I will do a study on the API requests.
Never mess with api much!

Hey Pedro,

The logic behind product tiers is to cater to different willingness to pay among companies. And product tiers require differentiation.
It’s not all too uncommon. Even my small Berlin-based mailbox provider has a “light”, “standard” and “premium” tier. And while I don’t need all the other fancy things (like video conferences) which is in “standard”, I buy that tier because I need the one feature: custom domain names.

Yes, if the demand is there for such a feature, we could consider this. Currently, not too many people are screaming.

3 Likes

Hey @martin.hirschvogel ,

I guess it makes sense!

My company has constant changes thats why it starts to be a pain to remove and add it manually.
I’ll just stop being lazy and use the API for once :laughing:

Thanks for answer.