Windows_update.vbs

Hello,
after installing the windows agent, i copied the windows_updates.vbs in the plugin section under programdata folder, but i’m unable to get this kind of information from the agent. If I execute the vbs itself, it runs indefinitely after showing a question mark. Same behaviour on different windows o.s. What kind of error i’m performing?

all the best
Giovanni

It is strange that you don’t get any error message. If your system has a problem with the Windows update service itself it should output a error message.

You can check with this small Powershell script if the WSUS subsystem is working.
It outputs the pending updates as an local check.
If this script runs also the vbs should work standalone or inside the agent.
Do you configured a timeout setting for this script as it is possible that it runs longer than 60seconds.

$rebootpending = 0

if (Test-Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired") {
    $reboottext = "updates installed, reboot required"
    $rebootpending = 1
}
else {
    $reboottext = "no pending updates and reboots"
}

$updateSession = New-Object -com "Microsoft.Update.Session"
$updates = $updateSession.CreateupdateSearcher().Search(("IsInstalled=0 and Type='Software'")).Updates
$criticalTitles = "";
$optionalTitles = "";
$countCritical = 0;
$countOptional = 0;
$countHidden = 0;

if ($updates.Count -eq 0) {
    Write-Host "P WindowsUpdates critical=$countCritical;1;2|optional=$countOptional;5;10|hidden=$countHidden|reboot=$rebootpending;1 $reboottext"
}
else {
    foreach ($update in $updates) {
        if ($update.IsHidden) {
            $countHidden++
        }
        elseif ($update.AutoSelectOnWebSites) {
            $criticalTitles += " \n " + $update.Title
            $countCritical++
        }
        else {
            $optionalTitles += " \n " + $update.Title
            $countOptional++
        }
    }
    Write-Host "P WindowsUpdates critical=$countCritical;1;1|optional=$countOptional;1;100|hidden=$countHidden|reboot=$rebootpending;1 pending updates \n critical$criticalTitles \n optional$optionalTitles"
}

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.