WLC Cisco 9800 Access Point not discovered

Hi there,
I’m migrating frow WLC 2504 to new WLC 9800 and I can’t monitor my access point on this one.
All was OK on the WLC2504.
Witch the 9800, I found the AP witch snmpwalk on the OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.2.1.1.3 but on my services host, they don’t appear.
Any idea please?
Here are detected services :slight_smile:

Hi,
what does this screenshot show? The old or the new AP?

Karl

The new one just to show there is something collected on it but not the AP’s.

Sorry but I don’t understand what you talking about.
I’ve got Cisco AIR-AP1702I-E-K9 for example which I can monitor throught the WLC2504 but not through the WLC9800.
Here is the complete name of the controler : Cisco Catalyst 9800-40 Wireless Controller
running latest IOS-XE version : 16.12.4a

It seems this WLC is not recognized and the plugins cisco_wlc and cisco_wlc_clients nat not used yet.

The important information is what returns your new device on OID - .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0
The existing Cisco WLC check expects one of the following values

".1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.1.1.4.3",
".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1069",
".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1615",
".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1645",
".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1631",
".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1279",
".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1293",
".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.2170",
".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.2371",
".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.2250",
".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.2427",

I think your new device has something else there.
You can copy booth check files from “~/share/check_mk/checks/” to “~/local/share/check_mk/checks/” and extend the list with your value. Then it should find the APs again.

Other option is to use the “cisco_wlc” package from my colleague https://thl-cmk.hopto.org/gitlab/checkmk/cisco/wlc/cisco_wlc
it already supports more types and gives “some” more information.

Hi Andreas,
OID value :
iso.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0 = OID: iso.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.2530

I’ve tried to copy both check files to the location you give was not running. so I’ve add the OID directly in the original check files and now it’s working. Thanks for help
Will you add this OID on next release?

12792 cisco_wlc: add support for cisco wlc 9800 · tribe29/checkmk@a54b11d · GitHub :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the add :slight_smile:

Hello,

I was abble to configure cisco_wlc and cisco_wlc_clients thanks to the forum.

I’m not knowing at all py but is there a way to add new variables to cisco_wlc as per getting form SNMP more information like model number/IP of the Aps ?

register.snmp_section(
name=“cisco_wlc”,
detect=matches(OID_sysObjectID, VERSION_CISCO_WLC_PATTERN),
parse_function=parse_cisco_wlc,
fetch=[
SNMPTree(
base=".1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.2.1.1",
oids=[
“3”,
“6”,
],
),
],
)
On above script i would like to add dmore OIDs that have the information if it is posibile.

Thanks,
Alex

That’s not so easy.
But you can check with this plugins if it gets the information you want.

In the mentioned repository there are also inventory plugins for the APs and clients available.

Hi Andreas,

Thanks but mention pluginn is not working for myself. Tried but couldn’t figure out as is crashing . Couldn’t make it to work :frowning:
Thanks,
A

@alexrusuro can you upload a crash report, so I can see what’s wrong and may fix the check?

@thl-cmk sorry, may bad here i mixed it . Ussing the extension for AP inventory i receive timout on querry SNMP

See the logs bellow
OMD[c4_monitor]:~$ cmk --debug -vII xxxxxxxx(good hostname)
Discovering services and host labels on: xxxxxxxx(good hostname)
xxxxxxxx(good hostname)

• FETCHING DATA
    [SNMPFetcher] Execute data source
    ERROR: SNMP error 0/-24 (Timeout)
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/snmp.py”, line 342, in _fetch_from_io
    _from, until, _section = persisted_sections[section_name]
    File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/cache.py”, line 42, in getitem
    return self._store.getitem(key)
    KeyError: SectionName(‘cisco_wlc’)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/bin/cmk”, line 92, in
exit_status = modes.call(mode_name, mode_args, opts, args)
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/base/modes/init.py”, line 69, in call
return handler(*handler_args)
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/base/modes/check_mk.py”, line 1542, in mode_discover
discovery.do_discovery(
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/base/discovery.py”, line 370, in do_discovery
fetcher_messages=list(
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/base/checkers/_checkers.py”, line 247, in fetch_all
raw_data = source.fetch()
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/base/checkers/_abstract.py”, line 163, in fetch
return fetcher.fetch(self.mode)
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/_base.py”, line 268, in fetch
return result.OK(self._fetch(mode))
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/_base.py”, line 286, in _fetch
raw_data = self._fetch_from_io(mode)
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/snmp.py”, line 348, in _fetch_from_io
fetched_data[section_name] = [
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/snmp.py”, line 349, in
snmp_table.get_snmp_table(
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/snmplib/snmp_table.py”, line 82, in get_snmp_table
rowinfo = _get_snmpwalk(
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/snmplib/snmp_table.py”, line 188, in _get_snmpwalk
rowinfo = _perform_snmpwalk(section_name, base, fetchoid, backend=backend)
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/snmplib/snmp_table.py”, line 204, in _perform_snmpwalk
rows = backend.walk(
File “/omd/sites/c4_monitor/lib/python3/cmk/fetchers/cee/snmp_backend/inline.py”, line 202, in walk
raise MKSNMPError(
cmk.utils.exceptions.MKSNMPError: SNMP Error on xxxxxxxx(good hostname): SNMP query timed out after 6 tries within 30.03 seconds

@alexrusuro lokks like CMK runs in a timeout, not shure why…
can you run the cmk command again with one more v like cmk --debug -vvII xxxxxxxx so I can see up to which OID the snmp fetch goes? And maybe you can also do a manuall snmp walk as described here.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.