Are there plans to create a mssql plugin to monitor MS SQL Server hosted on Linux?

Hi

I run an instance of MS SQL Server on linux and would like to monitor it using check_mk. I see that there is a mssql VB plugin for Windows but none for linux. I also noticed already this thread: MS SQL Server (Linux) plugin available?

I wondered whether there are any plans by check_mk or by the community to create/provide a plugin to monitor mssql on linux in the near future (or at all) since I think there are going to be more and more mssql instances running on linux these days …

Best regards
tog

1 Like

Any feedback on this topic?

last time I spoke with @marcel.arentz there was a rough idea about the mssql plugin, but it didn’t sound like there was a precise plan for the 2.2 or so, guess your best bet would be to create a request at https://features.checkmk.com/ and hope for enough votes so that tribe29 picks it up.

Thank you very much for your response, @gstolz

I created the feature request as you suggested. Anybody who would also like this feature, please upvote the request here:

I roughly remember that conversation with @gstolz. ^^
But it’s correct that we do not have any concrete plans to have a Linux compatible plugin for mssql at the moment. That’s, because database monitoring is a big topic in general and also in some sub parts (e.g. the mentioned one), but currently not directly on our roadmap.
It’s a big (sub) topic, as it makes no sense to increase the number of plugins, that need to be maintained in two versions. Instead, it should be one single plugin or – at least – share a common library.

Thank you very much, @marcel.arentz, for your reply!

I see. But it’s still a pity, that I am not able to monitor my mssql instance running on Linux with checkmk. Didn’t you get this request from other people as well? (I didn’t find like lots of threads for this topic.) Are there just not enought instances running on Linux (yet) out there?

Is there a change that you would pick this up if more people would ask for it? Would it be an option (which would speed up the creation of such kind of a plugin) that we support you in creating a new plugin (no matter whether it would be a single plugin for Windows and Linux or a Linux-specific one)?

Or do you see any options for us (how to monitor mssql on Linux in a different way)?

These are good questions @tog!
Usually, our developers have a very concrete concept of how our code should look like. And, of course, we argue that by saying: “We want good code quality!”
In consequence, it’s very difficult for us to review and for contributors to participate in the development of (new) official plugins. For us, because we have these requirements internally and have limited time for reviews. For our contributors, because the mindset behind our requirements is difficult to catch if you’re not working all day long on Checkmk code.

Long story, short: I think, it’s a very good idea that community members work on a shared project. Either a mssql plugin for all platforms or an additional plugin just for Linux. And this energy and contribution should be independently of the official development. Let other users take part of your knowledge. Because, agent and check plugins are the most efficient way to share knowledge in the community.

1 Like

Thank you very much, @marcel.arentz, again for your reply!

I see your points. We will discuss internally whether or not we will invest time in developing such a plugin ourselves.

I also thought of other kind of support we could provide like testing a new plugin in case tribe29 would take it up. Let us know in case you would start working on such a plugin and in case we could support you (e.g. in testing it).

Said this, is there any (other) way we can monitor an mssql instance running on Linux using CheckMK?

Just run into this statement “These days, you can also set up Microsoft SQL servers under Linux distributions.” in this Checkmk blog post: Monitoring of different server types: SQL servers | Checkmk

Is there (currently or in the future) a way of monitoring MS SQL server instances/databases running on Linux with Checkmk?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.