MS SQL Server (Linux) plugin available?

Just joined the community. Looking to see if checkmk will be a good fit for monitoring our Microsoft SQL Server’s that are running on Ubuntu Linux boxes (Not Windows). Is there a guide or a plugin available for MSSQL Server for Linux, or is there only an option for Windows? Any help/guidance would be superb to help me figure out if this would be a viable tool to use for our Monitoring needs.

Best,

B

I don’t think that an out of the box solution for this setup is available.
If i had some MSSQL systems on Linux i would do the following.
Make sure to have also Powershell available in the Linux machine (what should be no problem).
Port the existing mssql.vbs to Powershell and use it on the Linux machine as a plugin for the CMK agent there.

1 Like

I really appreciate that input. I was wondering if I could make it work with some sort of work around. I’ll give it a whirl and see what comes of it. I haven’t found any other topics around mssql on linux here. So, if I can make it work…maybe I can create a runbook on how to address this particular need for mssql server on linux (ubuntu), specifically. :slight_smile:

@andreas-doehler is there a guide to porting the existing mssql.vbs to powershell? what steps need to happen afterwards? I have already installed powershell on my ubuntu vm where my primary node for mssql server HA is installed…

For such a task you need someone with good Powershell knowledge and time.
There are some parts inside the Windows VBS script you can omit, like version detection and the different connectors.
The main part with all the queries later must also be there inside the Powershell.

Hi

I would like to point out this question of mine which is related to this thread:

I also created a feature request for mssql monitoring on Linux. You can upvote the request here (if you also have need for this feature):

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.