Checkmk Virtual appliance

I have recently upgraded the virtual appliance firmware to 1.4.7 and also updated the Checkmk Enterprise edition to 1.6.0p8(stable) . First tried migrating the test site I created from 1.5.0p15.cee to 1.6.0p8 cee which threw an error and also created a new site and got the same error as menitoned below:

Cannot execute omd command omd start test: Starting mkeventd…OK Starting liveproxyd…OK Starting mknotifyd…OK Starting rrdcached…OK Starting cmc…OK Starting apache…OK Starting dcd…OK Initializing Crontab…/var/spool/cron/: mkstemp: Permission denied close failed in file object destructor: sys.excepthook is missing lost sys.stderr ERROR

Could you please advise what could be the issue here ?

Hi @Marco,

Take a look here Site partially running after appliance upgrade to v1.4.7

As @marcel.arentz suggested :

"you could try the following command:
dpkg-reconfigure cron
This will reset the permissions on the folders. Maybe this works directly in your case. "

Hope it helps

Thanks. This command did the trick. I am able to start and configure the site.
I am a newbie in Appliance configuration and also to 1.6.0p8. Apart from the Device configuration where you specify the site credentials, the site ID etc. Is there anything else needed to make the site working ?
The issue that I am facing at the moment is that the site is running and after I log in to the site and add a host, I get the below message during the service discovery:
Starting job…
+ FETCHING DATA
[agent] Execute data source
[agent] ERROR: Communication failed: timed out
Completed.

Can you please advise where could be the issue ?

Nice you made it @Marco.
You must ensure firewall rules between your firewall and the host you are trying to monitor, firewall in the host and if it is unix you must have xinetd well configured to allow access from appliance IP. Let me know if you have checked everything and give some update here.

The same error occured when starting the site after an appliance update from 1.47 to 1.48

dpkg-reconfigure crontab fixed it!

Thanks.

1 Like