Custom names for network interfaces

Hey,

is there any way to give auto-discovered (via SNMP) network interfaces custom names in CEE 1.6.0p7? I’m dealing with certain network devices that do not allow me to specify custom names in the devices themselves. Neither of Check_mk’s method of naming interfaces (“alias” or “description”) work for me; “alias” just being the same as “index” (001, 002, 003 etc.) and “description” just being the Linux interface names (“eth0”, “eth1”, “eth2” etc.).

Linux interface names are fine when there are only one or two, but the devices I’m talking about often have ten or even twenty interfaces. With so many those names lose all their meaning, though, and it would be really great to be able to attach some meaningful name (“clients”, “servers”, “DMZ” etc.) or a comment to them, information that should be easily accessible from the web interface.

Thanks.

Hi,
do you know the rule “Translation of service descriptions”?

Karl

1 Like

I know of it, and I gave it a (very short) try which didn’t work. However, I didn’t test extensively and might just have mis-spelled the interface name. I’ll give it another try.

Hi,

Karl

1 Like

Alright, using “Translation of service description” works with the “multiple regex” mode if I specify the full name, e.g. “Interface eth0”, but not just if I use “eth0” — meaning the regex is likely anchored to the start of the string.

Thanks!

The latest blog post may be relevant: [Checkmk Blog] Monitoring your network: Four rules to rule them all

1 Like

I read the blog post before posting my topic. The blog post doesn’t address my particular problem as my device cannot deliver custom names via SNMP. It always delivers either index-based names (“001”, “002” etc.) or Linux interface names (“eth0”, “eth1” etc.).

I am already using an approach similar to the one described in the blog post for other devices that do allow me to specify custom interface names in the device itself (e.g. Dell N series switches).