Hosts in view but not in WATO

Hello,

I’m having a problem and can’t seem to find what is causing it.

I have 2 hosts that are not relevant to our network anymore.
I see both hosts in my view / in the host problems overview (they are down).

When i try to edit them in WATO (to remove them from the monitoring) i get the message:
“You called this page with an invalid host name.”
When i try to edit the parameters for the host i get:
“The given host does not exist.”

Both hosts are not present in my WATO directory, if i add a new host with the same hostname i get a message that there is a duplicate hostname being used, but i can access the edit host page from the host problems page.
Then deleting that host removes it from WATO but it is still present in the host problems page.

If i search for the host through the cli i also don’t find any hosts with that hostname.

Any idea on how i can remove these hosts from host overview?

Thanks
Jens

Did you run grep -r hostname $OMD_ROOT/etc?

1 Like

Hello,

Grep returns nothing.

Do you have a distributed monitoring setup?

Hello,

We don’t use a distributed setup.

The 2 hosts in question are gateways so they might have been created by a scan, although even then they should be in the hosts list on WATO right?

Bump,

Anyone have any idea how i could get these entries out of the portal?

Some more context:
They are both gateways that after a network change are not relevant to the network anymore (we would not be able to ping them anyways).
The only check that is being done on these hosts is a PING.
If i look at the status of the host, it is still doing regular ping checks.

It seems like a normal host would with the only difference being that it is nowhere to be found in WATO (and in the cli), making it so that i cannot delete it.

So, if I understand you correctly:

1. The hosts does show up in Quicksearch. If yes, then you click on WATO >> Folders and see in which folder this host appears and accordingly update/delete it.
  2. Other way to find the host would be as Robert suggested to login as site user and run
    grep -r <hostname> etc/check_mk/*
    or
    you could also do this:
    cmk -D <hostname>
    With this command you can find in which folder the host is.

Hello Marco,

I figured because grep didn’t return anything there was no entry but there seemed to have been a problem with the syntax i used.
Using your commands i found both hosts and i figured out where they are configured:
etc/check_mk/conf.d/parents.mk

I had an entry for both hosts there:

Parents which are not listed in your all_hosts:

all_hosts += [‘gw-IP|parent|ping’,
‘gw-IP|parent|ping’,
‘gw-IP|parent|ping’]

After deleting parents.mk i did a new --scan-parents and after activating changes the hosts are now gone.

Thank you both for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.