How can monitor EMC devices by checkmk

How can monitor EMC devices such as EMC unity and datadomain with checkmk ? Is that possible ?

Hi Alex,

every EMC device is different, to make sure … well not sure what they thought of it :smiley:

datadomain is included in the default checkmk snmp support
unity has an mkp and needs the unisphereCLI that you have to download from dell - an mkp is here: Checkmk Exchange and there is a version patched for cmk 2.0 and up check_mk_emcunity/emcunity-3.2.mkp at master-for-cmk-2.0 · ImTheLucKyOne/check_mk_emcunity · GitHub

About Datadomain which option should I select in checkmk to add community , ip and other options ?

Hi Alex,

there’s very detailed documentation about the possible snmp settings at Monitoring via SNMP - Monitoring of SNMP devices with Checkmk also, there’s a section in the beginner’s guide: Setting up monitoring

1 Like

@alexxx Here’s a summary about everything that Checkmk can monitor on EMC: Check Plug-Ins Catalog

@elias.voelker , @gstolz
Would you please help me about follow steps to monitor EMC unity devices ?

I did step 1 and step 2 on my checkmk container
Also I did step3 in my checkmk container with root user such as follow :

root@checkmk:/opt# uemcli -d 171.10.20.30 -u Monitor -securePassword -sslPolicy store /sys/general show
Password:
Storage system address: 171.10.20.30
Storage system port: 443
HTTPS connection

1: System name = CKM00182801752
Model = Unity 600
Platform type = EMC Storage System
Product serial number = CKM00182801752
Auto failback = on
Health state = OK (5)

I did step4 and I have download emcunity-3.2.mkp
Would you please help me about step5 and step6 ? How can get data from EMC device now, and monitor on checkmk GUI ? I don’t know how can perform step 5 and 6

Would you please help me how can do steps 5 and 6 ?

Hi Alex,

have you added the mkp as well? than you should be able to see a new rule in the checkmk GUI called “Check state of EMC Unity storage systems” as described in step 5.

Gerd

I did step1-4 and also I have just downloaded emcunity-3.2.mkp . Do I have to put it in specific path ? what should I do now ?

Please see attached pic . I don’t have any option to add extensions or plugins

So I installed with mkp command and now shows:
OMD[mysite]:/tmp$ mkp list
emcunity

How can use from it in checkmk GUI ? according to follow pic there are not find any items with Unity

That is really strange I cannot see any that relates to unity although this is my output

OMD[mysite]:/tmp$ mkp list
emcunity

I just installed it with mkp command . Do I have to do active it ? there are not any items or change after install mkp

Also my checkmk version is : Version: 2.1.0p18

Hi Alex,

if “mkp list” shows the emcunity package, it would seem you did the right things to install the mkp.

That the “EMC Unity” integration doesn’t show up in your setup search is odd, have to restarted apache (and possibly redis?)
I don’t think that should be necessary, but maybe it is. (a complete “omd restart” would cover this as well.)

Gerd

Hi,
what’s the output of mkp list emcunity?

Can you find it in Setup > Other integrations > Hardware?

Karl

This is my output :

OMD[mysite]:~$ mkp list emcunity
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/agent_emcunity
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity.include
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_battery
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_disk
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_dpe
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_fan
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_general
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_hostcons
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_lun
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_memory
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_pool
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_pwrsupply
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_sp
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_ssd
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_fs
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_temp
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_fc
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_vmfs
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_cpu
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_battery
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_disk
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_dpe
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_fan
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_lun
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_memory
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_pool
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_pwrsupply
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_sp
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_ssd
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_fs
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_temp
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_fc
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_vmfs
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_hostcons
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_cpu
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/agents/special/agent_emcunity
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/web/plugins/wato/emcunity_datasource_programs.py
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/web/plugins/metrics/emcunity.py
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/web/plugins/perfometer/emcunity_lun.py
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/web/plugins/perfometer/emcunity_pool.py
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/web/plugins/perfometer/emcunity_fs.py
/omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/web/plugins/perfometer/emcunity_vmfs.py

Also there are not anything relates unity in Hardware

As I am using checkmk as container , after install mkp stop/start container . As I know after install package by GUI we use active to apply changes but after install mkp via cli just stop/start container . Is that ok ?

Can you share the screenshot of " Setup >>Maintenance >> Extension packages" ? Is the MKP even enabled ?

I am using Raw edition and as I know extension package is just in enterprise edition (I guess) . So I have installed in CLI mode as I said before that, also I have attached pic from Maintenance. Also I am running checkmk as container

On the command line inside the container you can check with.

mkp -v enable emcunity 3.2

It moves all the files to where they should be and checks that they have the right permissions.
On my test system (also docker container) it is then shown inside the “Other integrations” → “Hardware” before the EMC VNX entry.

Thanks. This is my output :

OMD[mysite]:~$ mkp -v enable emcunity 3.2
Updating emcunity from version 3.2 to 3.2.
Legacy check plugins:
agent_emcunity
emcunity.include
emcunity_battery
emcunity_disk
emcunity_dpe
emcunity_fan
emcunity_general
emcunity_hostcons
emcunity_lun
emcunity_memory
emcunity_pool
emcunity_pwrsupply
emcunity_sp
emcunity_ssd
emcunity_fs
emcunity_temp
emcunity_fc
emcunity_vmfs
emcunity_cpu
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/agent_emcunity: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity.include: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_battery: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_disk: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_dpe: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_fan: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_general: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_hostcons: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_lun: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_memory: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_pool: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_pwrsupply: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_sp: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_ssd: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_fs: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_temp: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_fc: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_vmfs: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checks/emcunity_cpu: 0640 → 0644
Checks’ man pages:
emcunity_battery
emcunity_disk
emcunity_dpe
emcunity_fan
emcunity_lun
emcunity_memory
emcunity_pool
emcunity_pwrsupply
emcunity_sp
emcunity_ssd
emcunity_fs
emcunity_temp
emcunity_fc
emcunity_vmfs
emcunity_hostcons
emcunity_cpu
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_battery: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_disk: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_dpe: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_fan: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_lun: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_memory: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_pool: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_pwrsupply: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_sp: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_ssd: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_fs: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_temp: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_fc: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_vmfs: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_hostcons: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/checkman/emcunity_cpu: 0640 → 0644
Agents:
special/agent_emcunity
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/agents/special/agent_emcunity: 0750 → 0755
Legacy GUI extensions:
plugins/wato/emcunity_datasource_programs.py
plugins/metrics/emcunity.py
plugins/perfometer/emcunity_lun.py
plugins/perfometer/emcunity_pool.py
plugins/perfometer/emcunity_fs.py
plugins/perfometer/emcunity_vmfs.py
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/web/plugins/wato/emcunity_datasource_programs.py: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/web/plugins/metrics/emcunity.py: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/web/plugins/perfometer/emcunity_lun.py: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/web/plugins/perfometer/emcunity_pool.py: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/web/plugins/perfometer/emcunity_fs.py: 0640 → 0644
Fixing permissions of /omd/sites/mysite/local/share/check_mk/web/plugins/perfometer/emcunity_vmfs.py: 0640 → 0644

But after that another checked and nothing shows please see attached pic

On my system it shows up as expected. You can only take a look at the web.log in the site.
But i think that there will be no error message inside the log.
It is not needed to restart the container or anything after installing a package.
It must show up after installation.

something else I just noticed: if you are using cmk in a container, how do you install the unisphere cli? inside the container?