How to create monitor for specific windows service?

Hello everyone,

I’m kind of new to the CheckMK as I configured my installation of ChekMK version 2.0.0p19.
So far I find CheckMK the right choice for monitoring servers, but I haven’t seen or found any tutorial on how to do the monitoring for some service, that isn’t included when running Full service scan.
Has anybody found some tutorial on how to add some service to host, as this service is only running on one host? So for one server I want to add one specific service, for other server another specific service.

I will appreciate your answers and help.

Hi @24patrik ,

You need to be more clear about “services”. You mean windows services ?

Hallo,
this may help.

Ralf

1 Like

sorry for unclearness. yes, basically for windows services. we have a program that runs as windows service, but full service scan won’t show this service and I would like to add it manually

Hello, as mentioned in previous answer you can set own service to monitor on windows.
It is located here :
Best regards,
JF

2 Likes

Hi there,
i also had trouble getting a Service watched, that was not found with the Windows Service Discovery, the solution that worked for me was:

Forced “State and Count of Procecces” rule:

which gives:

1 Like

Careful with this one. Yes it works, but you only need it, if there is no Windows service. Windows services are collected by the agent by default, you just need to tell checkmk, that it should monitor a specific service as outlined by @jan.filo.
An enforced service is only necessary, if you want to monitor a process that might vanish, or the other way around: A service that should not be there.

But should checkmk agent automatically detect “our own created windows services”?
I did rule as @jan.filo suggested and on server which has this service has succeffully showed the service (https://ibb.co/5YycD5r). Is that the correct way to do it?

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it.

Check_mk agent should find all windows services but in gui you see only one service where you get number of services and their status as summary (shown here :
).

This rule i send you will tell to monitor that specific service so you can have assurance that it is working correctly and set notifiations… for it.

1 Like

Maybe one more clarification:
The Checkmk agent collects information about all Windows services.
It creates one service that shows a summary of all the services.
Checkmk will however not show every single service unless you create a rule of the type “Windows service discovery” as shown here and decide in which services you are interested in.

2 Likes

oooh i get it now, thanks both of you for clarification.

“This rule i send you will tell to monitor that specific service so you can have assurance that it is working correctly and set notifiations… for it.”
That’s exactly what I tried to achieve, to get notification if this specific service fails and your suggestion did the trick.

But checkmk won’t notify you if some of service in summary of all the services fails as I understand?

No it will. If a Windows service that is in autostart fails, you will be notified. But disabled services will be ignored there.

That’s great, thanks for helping me out.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed. Contact an admin if you think this should be re-opened.